Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyne loan me a joist detector near Dublin city?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Looking to hang my bike in it's rightful place in the middle of the wall here :D

Anyone have a joist detector they'd be willing to lend?

I can leave something as a security deposit of course.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Looking to hang my bike in it's rightful place in the middle of the wall here :D

Anyone have a joist detector they'd be willing to lend?

I can leave something as a security deposit of course.

Why not use the old fashioned method? Start for the corner of the wall and then come along 400mm from that corner and drill a small hole to see if you hit any timber there? That what I would do. And ifs not there it is usuall within 50mm of that measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Hadn't thought of that tbh.

I actually have two bikes to hang here in separate rooms, and was hoping to find the joists first, then decide where to place the mounts.

Haven't used a joist detector before, but I thought it'd make it easier to place a large load bearing screw right in the middle of the joist.

Is it common practice to drill a load of little holes to find the joist?

Any danger of hitting a cable or something?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could always run a magnet along the wall till you find the screws/nails they should be in the center of each stud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

I don't believe it.

There's an app for it.

I'll have to try it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I've given up on joist detectors for all but the most general search.
    On most walls you can see one or two filled nail heads (torchlight at a close angle is often the easiest way to spot them), that will tell you where the stud is, if you're lucky they'll be on the actual stud you want but if you can make out two further along and then measure the spacing back then poke around with a small drillbit where you think it will be. Standard spacings are 400, 500, 550, 600mm OR the length of the wall divided by the number of studs the chippy had, ie there is no universal standard.
    If you're hanging a lot of weight you will need to get fairly central on the stud.

According to regs cables must run horizontally near the ceiling or skirting and drop or rise vertically to sockets and switches, needless to say this is very often ignored. Basically be careful if there are any electrics or water on EITHER SIDE of the wall you're on. Turn off the electricity if in any doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement