Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Management software

Options
  • 02-04-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Working in a small legal practice. Would like opinions of case management software systems. Must be easy to use and not very expensive. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Working in a small legal practice. Would like opinions of case management software systems. Must be easy to use and not very expensive. Any opinions?

Opsis is decent enough, very adaptable it seems but only ever used it for civil litigation files

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Westmeathlass

Thanks for that. Any idea of costs - is it value for money. Need it mostly for risk management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

What type of work are you doing? Is it a PII concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CGolf

We use OPSIS in our firm - a small, general practice. There is a complete new version due out in the coming months and it looks to be much more intuitive the the current one. That said, I couldn't imagine working in a firm without it!

We probably don't utilise it to it's full potential, but there is an option to link critical dates to your Outlook calander. You can also format excel reports specifically to your needs by pulling the data you need from each case and putting it into a spreadsheet.

Overall the time you save by having all the documents, e-mails and scanned post for each case in one place cannot be over estimated.

Thanks for all that information. Have you heard of Legal Evolve or Keyhouse packages? I would appreciate any comments. Can't afford to buy a system and find out it has serious flaws including costly support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Hello Westmeathlass,

Keyhouse have spent the last couple of years extensively working on the risk management side of their software. We have converted quite a few Opsis sites to move over to us.

Would you like to discuss the matter further?

I've used both (Keyhouse and Evolve), Evolve is my preference but the license is expensive.

At the moment, we are doing everything manually. We have now installed an up-to-date photocopier which scans to files and delivers our emails etc. We now want to compliment this system with a "good" easy to use software package but are not sure which way to go. Our practice is growing and while conveyancing is still very important, our Personal Injuries cases are growing at an alarming rate. In short, we are looking for a system that is proven, inexpensive and reliable. I welcome your comments.

None of the good and recognised software licenses are inexpensive unfortunately.

I would make the point however that if you spend the money on any of the software that have been mentioned on this thread you will recover that money back through much greater efficiency running your files.

If you can invest in a good package and go paperless you will see far better returns in the short-medium term and most certainly in the long term.

And by going paperless I mean literally no hard copies of anything in the office (except obviously things like issued Summonses, PIAB Authorisations, medical records which must be kept in paper and title docs) Everything else is in under your mouse.

Also makes things a lot easier at the end when trying to negotiate costs and all work is recorded on each file, i.e who did what and when.

Taxing Master will love you for it!

Thanks for that. I have now set up an appointment for a "documatics" demonstration. Would love to know if anybody has done a comparison of the different packages and what we should be watching out for. I agree that a paperless office is the way to go and you have helped to convince me that an investment in this type of software will pay off in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

I have used Partners, expd8 and Legal Evolve and without doubt Legal Evolve is the best. Its great for PI cases. If you have a good scanning system in place you can make all your briefs, booklets etc using the system and it cuts down on the time a lot. Highly recommended and documatics give really good assistance if you are in trouble

Thanks for that - good to hear that the backup service is good. Looking forward to the demonstration on Friday. (not looking forward to the cost!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sbran

Hi Guys

First off this isnt a sale pitch etc this is valuble info for your selfs well you can decide that.

If anyone is starting up and doenst have alot of money to work with and is looking for a good case managment software i will make sure you receive a free expd8 licence email info@expd8.com and say you saw this on boards.ie.

There is support on the licence but we are here to help people setting up on there own and we try to make the big jump easy for yourself,

There is alot of other case managment softwares available and i am in no means pushing expd8 but if you have a tight budget and are unsure of what you want have a look at the demo and the comments from other users.

http://www.expd8.com/eXpd8-Request-a-Demo left hand side of the page

if you have any issues with what i have put up please contact me

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Not a sales pitch? What would you call it then?

Would you like an infraction or simply a ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sbran

Hi Tom

i appoligise if it came across as a sales pitch but in my defense the question asked in the forum was :

"Working in a small legal practice. Would like opinions of case management software systems. Must be easy to use and not very expensive. Any opinions?"

i have not mentioned costs nor have i said our product is better than other i would not say that, i have highlighted that expd8 is inexpensive as the licence is free and i have met alot of people who have no money starting off and i thought this would be some helpful info for them

i will not reply with a post like that again i appoligise if i have offended you or anyone else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement