Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core Combatives 4 day Foundation Course with Mick Coup

Options
  • 02-04-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,

This is a heads up for anyone who is interested in training under Mick Coup.
    Mick runs www.corecombatives.com and is one of the top self protection / self defence experts currently on the scene.

He'll be in Dublin teaching his 4 day foundation course, that's Mon 14th May - Thurs 17th May, training for up to 8 hours each day.
    It's serious business, and will cost £500 paid directly to Mick (I get nothing from this) but if you work in a job where conflict is a part of your duty or if you teach self defence, I think it is well worth it.

For more details you can contact myself or Mick via email with 'DUBLIN FOUNDATION COURSE' as the subject title:
    Dave Hedges: info@wildgeesema.com
    Mick Coup: info@corecombatives.com

Thanks

Dave Hedges
    www.wildgeesema.com
    www.wg-fit.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edges

Further details on the course:

This is the initial phase of the Core Combatives (C2) Foundation Instructor Programme, designed to provide fundamental material and as such is not pass/fail format.

Aim: To provide the necessary basic C2 combat management material, creating a sound and solid underpinning skill-base, utilising an intense period of instruction and training.

Content: Phases 1-4 of the instructor programme, consisting of 11 subject modules, will be covered. Each module is highly specific in its theme content; all contain comprehensive material relating to the selected topic. The aim of these Foundation Modules is to explore and confirm essential subject matter in real detail and depth.

Subject Module Overview:

Phase One - Primary Technical Modules

1.1 Primary Impact Tools – Highline Strikes
    1.2 Primary Impact Tools – Offline Strikes
    1.3 Primary Impact Tools – Lowline Strikes

Phase Two - Primary Tactical Modules

2.1 Primary Offensive Tactics
    2.2 Primary Counter-Offensive Tactics
    2.3 Positional Adaptations

Phase Three - Secondary Technical Modules

3.1 Secondary Impact Tools - Hook & Stamp Strikes
    3.2 Secondary Impact Tools - Headbutt & Gouge

Phase Four - Secondary Tactical Modules

4.1 Secondary Offensive Tactics
    4.2 Secondary Counter-Offensive Tactics
    4.3 Situational Tactics

Duration: Four full training days consisting of 8 hours of direct instruction per day.

Format: Each Foundation Course is strictly limited to a minimum of six and a maximum of ten persons.

Cost: £500 per person - training only, not including any travel, accommodation and miscellaneous expense costs if applicable.

Further details will be sent out on application - note that this is a pre-subscribed course only - if you want a place you must act early and commit. Places are presently being filled and the limit is only ten participants to fully maximise the training experience and instructor/student interaction.

Full course/programme details here:

http://www.corecombatives.com/services/foundation-instructor-programme/

For those not interested in instructing in the future it provides an intensive stand-alone training opportunity...and you may even change your mind and want more!

Mick - info@corecombatives.com for course content info.
    Dave - info@wildgeesema.com for venue & booking info.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

€500 for 4 days! :eek::eek::eek:

i train 4 days a week, each class is 3 hours = 12 hours a week =624 hours/year this cost €65/month= €780/year

this course is €500 for 32hours
    the same 624hours/year at this rate would cost €9,750!

that 4 days course would want to be turning you into a crazy ass ninja to be your that money.
    although fools and their money......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nino1 wrote: »
    €500 for 4 days! :eek::eek::eek:

i train 4 days a week, each class is 3 hours = 12 hours a week =624 hours/year this cost €65/month= €780/year

this course is €500 for 32hours
    the same 624hours/year at this rate would cost €9,750!

that 4 days course would want to be turning you into a crazy ass ninja to be your that money.
    although fools and their money......

I failed my leaving certs maths all those years back but I reckon that works out at about 15 euro an hour, so I don't see what your problem is tbh. That's not expensive if you consider the limited numbers and/or you work in a profession where something like this would be a CPD course.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

tbh i didn't read it correctly, i didn't realise it was an instructor program.
    i thought it was one of those rip off krav maga classes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Plus, it's with Mick Coup, no Krav Maga there!

He is one of the best instructors around and well worth a trip to train with him.
    He doesn't get over here often so I would recommend anyone who has wanted to train with him to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nino1 wrote: »
    tbh i didn't read it correctly, i didn't realise it was an instructor program.
    i thought it was one of those rip off krav maga classes!!

Next time you might read something properly before firing from the hip.

Also the days when this forum feels it can jump willy nilly over KM threads is quickly coming to an end.

Carry on with the thread topic guys, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Also the days when this forum feels it can jump willy nilly over KM threads is quickly coming to an end.

Freud would say so much about that sentence Marto ;):D

waaayyyy off topic, my apologies :)

We're still taking bookings.

£500 is a lot to fork out, but as someone pointed out it works out at around 15 quid an hour. And to be fair, I've not come across many with the depth of knowledge and the ability to convey that knowledge in a way that sticks that Mick has.

There is no time wasted on fluff or flowery techniques. The course is set up not for breadth of knowledge but depth of knowledge, everything taught will be drilled until it is hardwired and thoroughly understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

The course is set up not for breadth of knowledge but depth of knowledge,
    Yep, Mick doesn't like adding layers or floors of stuff up on top of what he does.

He prefers to dig in big deep foundations, he trains iceberg style!

What he says seems so simple, but if you query his reasons there is 90% of his curriculum waiting under the surface!

Everything has a reason, and it's a good logical, well thought out and well explained reason! If you ask Mick "Why" be prepared for a proper answer.

I now understand "plastic vs. elastic energy" and "momentum change theory" and these are not Mick's made up reasons for what he does, it's physics, and you can reference the texts. That's not even touching on how people move, the weight shift that has to occur, or the directionality of strikes.

Mick deals in proofs, he's the bleedin' Richard Dawkins of Martial Arts!

Mick trains for effect...the difference is I used to train in a fighting "style"...Mick trains in Fighting.

If it doesn't work it gets binned, if it does work it gets made to work better.

He's a very personable and funny but huge version of Bruce Lee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mick Coup

Whoa...easy tiger!

Richard Dawkins...Bruce Lee? Do me a favour...

I don't do hard sell - actually I barely do any 'sell' at all, some of the rabid and shameless marketing is utterly farcical in my opinion, and I want no part of any of it.

However, just to clarify a few points regarding the 'Foundation Course' I run, and to hopefully distance what I present from other apparently similar offerings...

In a full four-days, of eight hours each, for a maximum of ten participants only, all that is covered is the fundamentals of effective striking, and the tactics, tools and support skills that make it all happen.

That's it - compared to other courses along the same lines, this comes up a little short regarding content it seems.

Seriously, there's no 'street awareness' urban uber-warrior skillz or the like, no conflict resolution social studies, no mega-advanced knife/gun/grenade/kebab disarming methods, no control and restraint, no explosive-entry hostage-rescue, no submission wrestling, no pressure points, no concealed weapon badassery...nuthin cool at all...

It most certainly isn't a WWII Commando re-enactment outing, and it distinctly lacks the ever-popular 'amateur dramatics' scenario training, not forgetting any counter-insurgency warfare or secret covert-operative material is noticebly absent...

There isn't even a couple of hours of ultra-hardcore 'combat-conditioning' each day...

One thing that it definitely isn't is a weak regurgitation of everyone's else's material - not one tiny bit...I'm no waiter serving other people's creations...

That's a whole lot of stuff that the course isn't I appreciate - how's the sales pitch so far?

Thing is, I struggle to cover the material that is included, that does seem limited on the surface, with what I would define as being adequate depth.

This is obviously a reflection on my limited instructional and coaching abilities, since other courses of around the same duration - or less - manage to squeeze in all the above, plus making cappucinos and flying stealth fighter-bombers, and what's more, you can be certified as an instructor too...not to mention that there might be 30+ in attendance! How awesome is that?

So, a novice on Monday, but a fully certified instructor on Friday - by my reckoning, that puts you precisely five days ahead of your soon-to-be students?

Forgot to mention - the Foundation Course isn't an instructor certification course...just the first stage of the basic instructor programme, or simply a stand-alone 'user' training package for those just looking to improve their striking abilities and associated skills.

Shocking stuff! A course that long - 32 whole hours - that doesn't certify you as an instructor on-demand! That's almost unheard of these days as I see it - denying people of their expected instant gratification and desparately sought validation...

It is pretty intense though, there's no 'pass/fail' testing, but it isn't a coast/spectate event either - there's a lot of work to fit into each day, from start to finish...you don't even get a long lunch break!

Lots of technical coaching and in-depth comprehensive skill-development covering a fundamental essential 'impactive' skillset - 1000's of full-force repetitions, that are either 'on-target/on-power' or not counted. Add a series of progressive drills to work every facet of hitting a fully-resisting, active-combative adversary, in a variety of situations and circumstances - culminating in all-out, full-contact, all-allowed live-fighting on three of the four days...not 'fighting' some over-padded, under-active walking heavybag...

If you're interested, or just so inclined, here's a couple of reviews:

http://coreconcepts.forumotion.co.uk/t798-foundation-course-review
    http://www.closeprotectionworld.com/training-forum/55887-course-recommendation.html

Is it expensive? I suppose so - sorry and all, but you get what you pay for, and I reckon it's a lot better value than a lot of the stuff out there.

But I would say that, wouldn't I?

Mick

• Advertisement

One place remaining.

If you want to take it, get in touch ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Anyone who attended

Is there any chance of a brief report on the seminar, would have attended , but doing exams at present.

Mick Coup's Core Combatives 4 day foundation course starts several days ahead of the initial meeting. It starts with an email containing 13 PDF attachments.
    These include the course joining instructions, a list of expectations and recommendations. The others are course topic headings.
    It looks intimidating, it is laid out in a manner that reeks of Micks extensive military past. It also got me chomping at the bit to get cracking with the course.

Over the last 25 years I've trained with many instructors in several martial arts styles. I attended one of the very first Krav Maga seminars ever held in the UK.
    I've read thousands of articles, read hundreds of books and watched as many Youtube clips.
    While I've been very lucky in who I've spent the most amount of time training with, I've never stopped looking for more information, different and/or better ways of looking at the core focus of martial arts.

What is the core focus of a martial art?

Simple, it's hurting someone bad enough that they no longer want to hurt you.
    That is the meat of any martial art, everything else is just the gravy.
    Most instructors seem to care more about the gravy these days. They spend more time making pretty shapes with their bodies rather than wondering how effective they're being. Others are so tied up in the rules and regulations of their competition that real martial prowess is left out.
    And then there's the Master Ken's of the world with their Ameri-Do-Te type arts that use so much BS to keep students coming back week in week out without ever really teaching anything much at all.

One name though has been coming to the surface with ever more frequency when I look for genuine information and training on the meat of the martial arts.
    One name stood out not just by the information being handed out, but by the presentation of the information. There was no aggrandising, no secret techniques, no smoke and mirrors. The articles were written in an articulate and entertaining fashion, the video clips seemed to reflect the articles.

The man behind this is called Mick Coup. I had to meet him.

My opportunity came a few years ago when I visited the SENI show in the UK. I bumped into Mick by chance and introduced myself, the following day I had the opportunity to train with a few of his lads.
    Another few years on and I receive a call from a lad who was bringing Mick to Ireland for a seminar and needed a venue. Without hesitation I offered my place and finally had the chance to train first hand with the man. It was during this weekend that we decided to arrange a Foundation Course in Ireland.

The Foundation Course does just what it says on the tin. It is the foundation to everything else Mick teaches. It is a stand alone course that gives you the tools and the knowledge to use those tools right away.

By the end of the course you will have done enough repetition to make the few techniques taught stick firmly with you as well as enough drills to develop both the technique and also the tactical application of the technique without further instruction.
    In short the Foundation Course is designed to leave you operational. It also gives you all the tools to ensure you not only remain operational but will become better and better, if and only if you implement the drills and tactics offered.

The course revolves around a concept model. I'll not go into too much detail here but essentially it is a diagrammatic representation of the C2 system. It is triangular in shape with the top of the triangle showing the most important aspects. As the triangle widens you come to the other aspects of the system in order of importance.

There is a side bar that runs all the way up one side of the diagram showing that it is a vital thread tying each level of the triangle together, this side bar simply says “Attitude”
    A lot of the course is about attitude.

Yes the drills make it sexy, running around hitting pads and making big bangs is cool. But the whole time Mick is looking for and encouraging the development of the attitude.
    Some of his drills are specifically designed to test and therefore develop the attitude. It is this attitude that really underpins the system.

So what is it?

Tenacity.

When describing tenacity Mick refers to the military again, “It's the thing that all special forces units require more than anything. Why do you think they make you run up and down mountains with heavy packs on?”
    Tenacity is about not giving up, it's about wanting to stop, knowing you can stop, but choosing not to.

Mick aims to develop this from day one. Initially it's through repetition. 400 of them.
    The 400 Drill is simple, yet devilishly genius. It's as simple as taking one strike and hitting the pads 400 times. Your partner does the counting and only counts full power, accurate strikes. Each time you get a no count you have to dig deeper, utilise better body mechanics, ignore the building fatigue and keep hitting harder and harder. This not only develops good technique and tremendous power but it builds tenacity.

On day on we did four 400 drills. Which meant that on day 2, we were sore.

As the course progresses we move from basic techniques to the underlying concepts and tactics.

While Mick teaches certain techniques, he does so in such detail that these become vehicles to the underlying concepts. So while a technique is only applicable to a certain scenario, a concept is applicable almost anywhere. Once this is understood the world of C2 opens right up.

Much of this is brought out through creative use of the focus pads. Mick uses these to replicate the movement of an opponent, shifting them to represent various targets offered as a body moves to protect itself.

The drills with the pads have various themes, sometimes it is to create stress, other times to build tenacity, sometimes it is to work a particular aspect of a fight.
    The onus is always on the pad man to hold the pad right and tell a story. The person hitting the pads can never be wrong just as long as he adheres to the basic attitude and applies the best technique for the job.

At the end of each day participants are given the opportunity to try out the tactics on each other during what is known as the “Live Drill” To an on looker this is just two people having a fight. Well, that exactly what it is.

The Live Drill is a testing ground, it is a carefully controlled environment where tow people with nothing but a helmet and groin guard can go at it, no holds barred, full contact, full power, yet with limited risk of injury. I'll say no more, you'll have to experience it yourselves.

The 4 day course is tough. It is physically demanding, it is mentally taxing. But it is incredibly high value.

Never before have I walked away from a training course so confident in the information that was presented. Everything taught was broken down logically and clearly so we could grasp it, then as soon as we had it greater and greater depth was added. The breadth of information taught may be small, but the depth is great.

It is this simplicity, this elegance, that makes the system work.

That and Mick's inimitable teaching style.....

Regards
    Dave Hedges
    www.wildgeesema.com
    www.wg-fit.com

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Dave

Thanks for the detailed synopsis of the course. It sounds like it was worthwhile, keep us in touch with next course details, will be interested in attending

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

that sort of 'self defense' stuff is just not for me anymore, however if i was into it based on what mick wrote above that's the guy i'd want to train with.

Mick Coup will be returning to Wild Geese for the third time!

The first time he gave an overview of his system. I was so impressed we discussed his return to run the 4 day foundation course (read my review here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79048172#post79048172)
    This time we're keeping it simple.

Day 1 - Power Generation
    Day 2 - Punch / Kick clinic

What does that mean?

It means that regardless of your style or background you can learn to maximise your striking potential. Mick is known for the devastating power in his his strikes, his system is built around it.
    And while many can argue that it is his large frame that develops this power, those that have trained with him will tell you that it is his understanding of body mechanics that allows him to not only hit extremely hard, but to repeat this over and over.

Mick can also teach.
    It's not often that a top level artist is also a top level coach. Mick is both. His military background, his attention to detail and his analytical mind combine to gather to form a man who has dissected his chosen subject matter to figure out not only how best to make it work, but also how best to make it work for everybody.

The course will be hands on, expect to work. But also expect to learn.
    Ask questions, listen to the answers. Do not accept anything Mick tells you without scrutiny, he expects you to be actively involved in the learning process, this enhances the learning experience.

Date & Time:
    Sat 11 August, 1000 - 1400
    Sun 12 August, 1000 - 1400

For more info and to book contact:
    c2seminardublin@gmail.com

Don't know how to edit my original post but please be aware of a date change.

The workshops will now take place on the weekend 6/7th October.

Apologies if this has inconvenienced anyone

Advertisement