Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Xbox 360s Disc Drive

Options
  • 01-04-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Long story short, I was changing the disc in the GF's xbox when my son fell and completely bent the disc drive out of shape. I've looked up how to open the xbox and how to change the PCB's from one disc drive to another, but i was wondering if anyone could clarify if I need a specific type/make of dvd drive or will any OEM one do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

You need to find out what model dvd drive is in the xbox your working on and then you replace like for like.
    EG if you have a lite on drive replace it with a new lite on.
    Its the only way to stay in the green on xbl.

You can use other OEM drives that don't match but you will have to manipulate the firmware of the dvd drive and you could be banned at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

You need to find out what model dvd drive is in the xbox your working on and then you replace like for like.
    EG if you have a lite on drive replace it with a new lite on.
    Its the only way to stay in the green on xbl.

You can use other OEM drives that don't match but you will have to manipulate the firmware of the dvd drive and you could be banned at some stage in the future.

Oh ok so thanks very much :) guess i'll have to get a T10 and open it up to find out which drive model it is :) Defo want to stay in the green on xbl, ended up buying a new xbox for her so gonna repair this one and its mine then :D

Sorry to post in this again, but I'm just looking for further confirmation.

I used the following website to find out what drive is in my slim

http://www.360drives.com/list?v_pack=7&v_videomode=pal&v_mfrdate=2011-01-20&v_board=7&v_perpage=50

I entered everything like the manufactoring date, the lot number and the team code and it is saying the drive is a Philips LiteON 16D4S

Would I have to buy another Philips LiteON 16D4S, or can I get any Philips LiteON drive and after switching the PCB's I wouldn't run into the risk of getting banned from XBL on the system.

Thanks again in advance

EJ22 wrote: »
    Sorry to post in this again, but I'm just looking for further confirmation.

I used the following website to find out what drive is in my slim

http://www.360drives.com/list?v_pack=7&v_videomode=pal&v_mfrdate=2011-01-20&v_board=7&v_perpage=50

I entered everything like the manufactoring date, the lot number and the team code and it is saying the drive is a Philips LiteON 16D4S

Would I have to buy another Philips LiteON 16D4S, or can I get any Philips LiteON drive and after switching the PCB's I wouldn't run into the risk of getting banned from XBL on the system.

Thanks again in advance
    Any Philips LiteON 16D4S will do.
    The other cheaper Philips Liteon drives are for the PHAT consoles and will not physically fit in the console.

Just a heads up is that there will be soldering involved in swapping the pcb.
    Some people wouldn't be up for soldering so its just as well you know before your neck deep in it.

This is the drive you want for your console http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DVD-Rom-Drive-Replacement-LITE-ON-DG-16D4S-HW-9504-DVD-DRIVE-Xbox360-Slim-UK-/330691439796?pt=Video_Games_Hard_Drives&hash=item4cfebeecb4

Any Philips LiteON 16D4S will do.
    The other cheaper Philips Liteon drives are for the PHAT consoles and will not physically fit in the console.

Just a heads up is that there will be soldering involved in swapping the pcb.
    Some people wouldn't be up for soldering so its just as well you know before your neck deep in it.

This is the drive you want for your console http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DVD-Rom-Drive-Replacement-LITE-ON-DG-16D4S-HW-9504-DVD-DRIVE-Xbox360-Slim-UK-/330691439796?pt=Video_Games_Hard_Drives&hash=item4cfebeecb4

Yeah i seen on the video i watched that there was a bit of soldering involved. I've no problems with that, i've re-soldered usb's onto their mobo's before so I'm handy with one :)

Thank you very much for all your help it is highly appreciated :D

• Advertisement

Yeah i seen on the video i watched that there was a bit of soldering involved. I've no problems with that, i've re-soldered usb's onto their mobo's before so I'm handy with one :)

Thank you very much for all your help it is highly appreciated :D

No problem then so.
    The soldering is quiet easy and pretty straight forward,
    The pads are pretty big.

Some people tend to have second thoughts when the hear they need to solder

No problem then so.
    The soldering is quiet easy and pretty straight forward,
    The pads are pretty big.

Some people tend to have second thoughts when the hear they need to solder

Nah sounds like fun to me :D Done metal work for a few years and the odd PC repair here and there when needed, so I'm used to it, although still cant get used to the smell of solder haha :D

Now just to save up to buy all the necessary parts to open it up etc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Use lead free solder and you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

although still cant get used to the smell of solder haha :D

Ah, thats the best part :D
    justryan wrote: »
    Use lead free solder and you should be fine

Heretic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah, thats the best part :D

Heretic

Haha, just don't use lead free when reballing its good for the small jobs and the fumes aren't as heavy as lead :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement