Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army Mutiny

Options
  • 01-04-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

The British army mutiny of 1917 still seems to a forgotten affair and until 1979 it had barely been mentioned. I first heard about it thirty years ago in Charleys War, which though a comic was excellently researched. I recently picked up a DVD of a series from the eighties called 'The Monocled Mutineer' which created controversy when it came out.
    it seems to be a matter of dispute whether or not the figure of Percy Toplis was at Etaples and the government was anxious to silence him.
    were the mutineers really pursued like that after the a war?
    was the labour candidate really silenced as shown in the movie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it seems that only soldier was executed for his part in the mutiny, one Corporal Jesse Robert Short. I wonder was he ever given a posthumous pardon?

Advertisement