Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doolin caves or Ailwee caves?

Options
  • 01-04-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Spending easter in Ennis. Going to cliffs of moher on one morning and not sure whether to spend rest of day exploring Doolin and its caves or the Burren& Ailwee caves. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

well, they are both quite different, the Doolin cave is mainly focussed on the big Stalagmite or stalagtite, never know the difference, the Ailwee cave has more variety , but by no means would you find the size of what you see in Doolin. My preference is Doolin.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you have kids, then ailwee, they're doing their annual egg hunt next weekend

http://www.ireland-guide.com/other/aillwee_cave__easter_egg_hunt__co_clare.6364.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

No, just 2 of us. Think I'll drive from ennis-lahinch -liscannor to Cliffs of moher. Then onto Doolin, maybe check caves out. Then up to Ballyvaughan and back to Ennis through the Burren. Is that too much in one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

toby2111 wrote: »
    No, just 2 of us. Think I'll drive from ennis-lahinch -liscannor to Cliffs of moher. Then onto Doolin, maybe check caves out. Then up to Ballyvaughan and back to Ennis through the Burren. Is that too much in one day?
    Well how long is a piece of string? It depends. You should manage everything just don't spend too much time in ballyvaughan. Just for lunch or something. I'm not sure about Doolin but aliwee has a number of attractions including a hawk show which is pretty cool so I think you get more variety for your buck!

Well,if Ailwee is better,we'll do it so.We'll be on the road early enough so hope to squezze a lot in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stalagmite or stalagtite, never know the difference

Imagine a girl sitting on an ant hill, the mites go up and the tites (tights) for down, that's how I always remember it anyway :)

Well,if Ailwee is better,we'll do it so.We'll be on the road early enough so hope to squezze a lot in.
    Well again it depends on what you're into. The dolmen is pretty cool to look at but you won't die if you don't and some people like to visit the Father Ted house but again that's a matter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

Clareman wrote: »
    Imagine a girl sitting on an ant hill, the mites go up and the tites (tights) for down, that's how I always remember it anyway :)

Thank you, it works, after 24 hour i still know the difference, :D

Thank you, it works, after 24 hour i still know the difference, :D
    Me too:D Nice one Clareman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I always remember tites have to hold on tight to stay up there :), somethings just stay with you, any feedback as to your experiences, i've been to Ailwee, just two of use were at the hawk display, it was very unique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I always remember tites have to hold on tight to stay up there :)

Yep, and the stalagmites might someday reach the 'tites. In about a gazillion years, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Doolin Cave all the way baring the ferries to aran it is one of the best value attraction in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

thought I replied to this thread the first day it came up, but don't see it here... anyway, plus one for Ailwee and the Bird Centre, the caves are ....well they are caves, nothing special, but the bird of prey centre is a great experience. Especially if they are flying the birds when you are there, usually they fly the birds at 12 and 3 , but a quick call to 0657077036 will let you know their exact plans for that day. I think they don't usually fly them if it is very windy or raining heavily.
    I work in a hotel in Ennis, and we usually suggest that people go anti clockwise on the route you were suggesting, i.e. go from Ennis through Corofin, turn right at Lemenagh castle, passing PoulnaBron Dolmen on your way to Ailwee caves and Ballyvaughan, from there head out along Hags head to towards Fanore/Doolin, and back home via the Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch & Ennistymon. The reason we suggest this direction, is that along the section between Fanore and Doolin, you have a nice view of the start of the Cliffs, but driving the other direction it is all behind you and you miss a lot of it. That being said, the scenery is spectacular no matter what direction you a driving.

Thanks johnam,
    Someone else recommended doing that route anti clockwise also,might change my plans.We're staying in the Old Ground(that were you work johnam??!!),planned to drive from Ennis-Ennistymon-Lahinch-Liscannor to the Cliffs.Then Doolin for lunch,coastal drive to Ballyvaughan,see Ailwee Caves,back to Ennis via Corofin etc.

Maybe we should do it in reverse,stop in Ballyvaughan for lunch,en route to Doolin.

johnam wrote: »
    I work in a hotel in Ennis, and we usually suggest that people go anti clockwise on the route you were suggesting, i.e. go from Ennis through Corofin, turn right at Lemenagh castle, passing PoulnaBron Dolmen on your way to Ailwee caves and Ballyvaughan, from there head out along Hags head to towards Fanore/Doolin, and back home via the Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch & Ennistymon. The reason we suggest this direction, is that along the section between Fanore and Doolin, you have a nice view of the start of the Cliffs, but driving the other direction it is all behind you and you miss a lot of it. That being said, the scenery is spectacular no matter what direction you a driving.
    +1

It never even occurred to me to suggest this. It's the way we always go when bringing overseas friends around Clare and I just took it for granted.

Looks like we'll take that route so.Going to do Ailwee caves&birds of prey centre,looks interesting.

Anyone recommend a place for lunch in Ballyvaughan or surrounding area?

http://www.menupages.ie/clare/west_clare/ballyvaghan/monks_pub_and_seafood_restaurant.aspx

One of the best restaurants in Ireland never mind Clare. Quite pricey but you get what you pay for IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Monks is known for its Chowder, but other than that, the reviews can be a bit hit and miss. The Tea Rooms are located on the same road as Monks and seem to be getting great reviews lately. Stephen Spielberg even stopped in for some of their cheesecake. I have eaten in the Soda Parlour in the village also, they do nice sandwiches etc, but nothing that stands out...actually, a quick google seems to show the place is for sale, so perhaps that is closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The cheesecake is indeed awesome.

Monks gets mixed reviews on tripadvisor.
    An Fulacht Fia and Gregans Castle are number 1 and 2 of restaurants in Ballyvaughan.Whats the local opinion on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Clareman wrote: »

Stalagmite - Ground up

Stalactite - Cieling down

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Birds of Prey flying at The Ailwee Caves is pretty good too on a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Monks gets mixed reviews on tripadvisor.
    An Fulacht Fia and Gregans Castle are number 1 and 2 of restaurants in Ballyvaughan.Whats the local opinion on them?

Being local my opinion is no locals go to them :) Everyone goes to logues for the dinner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Went to the Ailwee caves last week. Really enjoyed the Birds of Prey. The caves themselves were alright, had been there many years ago on school trips and the tour is nearly the same as before, word for word! But our little fella loved it.

Advertisement