Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passengers in the back of campervan??

Options
  • 01-04-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone!! I bought a campervan the other day(a vw) and i want to travel around Europe with my girlfrind an two of my friends. Its a small van as you might know so it will be a tight fit. I was wondering about the rules for carring passengers, seatbelt, seats etc... Cant find any thing on the internet with rules or anything!!! Thanks alot!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Cerabal,
    I may be wrong but I think legally if there is seatbelts fitted they must be used at all times.
    As far as I know, I think I read it on here actually that the Gardai are not certain on the law . Some say if there is no belts fitted you are ok.
    HOWEVER, the insurance is a totally differant matter. It states clearly that anyone travelling in the vehicle must be seat belted at all times and failure to do so could result in your insurance been void in the event of an accident.
    Enjoy your travels, it sounds like fun.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cerabal

Hi kevin! Yea i got the feeling it was a bit of a grey area. Best thing to do is maybe put in seatbelts just on the normal seats where the table and chairs are an hope for the best. Its to small to put in two car seats. Thanks for your help and dont worry we'll be sure to have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

cerabal wrote: »
    Hi kevin! Yea i got the feeling it was a bit of a grey area. Best thing to do is maybe put in seatbelts just on the normal seats where the table and chairs are an hope for the best. Its to small to put in two car seats. Thanks for your help and dont worry we'll be sure to have fun!

Have a look at my camper conversion in my Sig if you want. I have lap belts fitted to sideways seats in my bus. When the law stopped me they just asked me if the kids in the carseats fitted to them were wearing seatbetls! Mimd you be did seem a bit bamboozled by the whole notion of a van that's not a van anymore tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

When the law stopped me...
    I just said "I'm the law around these here parts.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

WildWater wrote: »
    When the law stopped me...
    I just said "I'm the law around these here parts.":D

Thanks for that. I was leaving Mullingar earlier heading to Donegal with a load and I read that before I left. Made me laugh all the way to Sligo. Made my day did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

+1 on demoreino's comment. Dolmen insurance told me that to be covered anyone sitting in the back must have properly fitted seatbelts - 3 point forward facing and lap belts sufficient for rear facing

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

Under Irish Law, Insurance companies theoretically do not have to pay out for injury to what are known as “Excepted Persons”.

An Excepted Person is either

1. A passenger who is in the vehicle but is not sitting on a fixed seat. (eg this includes a child sitting in an open boot)
    2. A passenger within a trailer attachment, whether sitting on a fixed seat or not. (caravan owners take note)

In theory, if you carry an excepted person you will be personally liable for any injury caused to them. This is a textbook answer. I am not fully aware of how it works out in reality. But to be safe, I simply wouldn’t allow conditions for an excepted person to be in the vehicle.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Hi Cerabal, I drive a VW T25 and had 3-point belts fitted in the back when I bought it. If you're thinking of getting them fitted, give the lads in Cosy Classics a buzz for advice, price, etc.

And congrats on your new purchase!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Under Irish Law, Insurance companies theoretically do not have to pay out for injury to what are known as “Excepted Persons”.

An Excepted Person is either

1. A passenger who is in the vehicle but is not sitting on a fixed seat. (eg this includes a child sitting in an open boot)
    2. A passenger within a trailer attachment, whether sitting on a fixed seat or not. (caravan owners take note)

In theory, if you carry an excepted person you will be personally liable for any injury caused to them. This is a textbook answer. I am not fully aware of how it works out in reality. But to be safe, I simply wouldn’t allow conditions for an excepted person to be in the vehicle.

I hope this helps.

I would have thought that to carry anyone as in your notes 1 & 2 would be illegal as well as plain daft.
    My 'van has bench seats and I would never allow anyone to travel in the back.
    (With the execption of my cat, who often travels with me:)).

Advertisement