Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Habitation check

Options
  • 31-03-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering what's involved in a habitation check.
    Our MH has never had one done (we're had it 3 years) and was thinking I might have Maynooth Motorhomes do a habitation check.
    What's normally checked ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

different garages vary , but I check for dampness , service the fridge and boiler/heater on gas , do a gas soundness test , check the charging system on 12v and 220v and examine the fuses and batteries for soundness , check the boiler drain , check and lube the awning , check the polarity in the sockets etc......... thats just off the top of my head , you'd always be pottering at other bits without even thinking of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LBMP

how much does it cost?

depends how long it takes tbh , we charge by the hour . I mean tak the gas test for example . No leaks , well then , it takes 10 mins . If you do find a leak however , it could take an hour or two to find and fix . Same with dampness in the roof/walls/floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I haven't had mine done so I don't know either.
    Anybody have a ballpark figure for a check that finds nothing - basically best case scenario ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LBMP

I emailed a place in Limerick and this was there reply.

"A full habitation check costs €200 and a gas test by an RGI engineer is €60 on top of that. Any work that may need to be carried out as a result of these tests we will quote you for."

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info !

Seems pricey enough, but what do I know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

we get ours done in donagheys and the check list is an a4 sheet divided in half with a tone of stuff to be checked. leisure battery gets checked as well with the readings printed.

we get ours done in donagheys and the check list is an a4 sheet divided in half with a tone of stuff to be checked. leisure battery gets checked as well with the readings printed.
    Does it cost much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cant remember but 200 and something any way

• Registered Users Posts: 3 silve

Just to let you know that i have had work done recently on my MH by Maynooth Motorhomes, and i have to say that i was so happy with their work. Pat is a real gentleman and genuine person, and his attention to detail is second to none. I have been to a few different places, but there is no comparasion to these guys. I will be back.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that i have had work done recently on my MH by Maynooth Motorhomes, and i have to say that i was so happy with their work. Pat is a real gentleman and genuine person, and his attention to detail is second to none. I have been to a few different places, but there is no comparasion to these guys. I will be back.
    Yep - have dealt with them before also and thought they were excellent and very genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DhyanT

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Does it cost much ?

I've recently been reading on the motorhomefacts website that some people are having this done if france on the way by for €90 or so in numerous places. R.O.Republic

DhyanT wrote: »
    I've recently been reading on the motorhomefacts website that some people are having this done if france on the way by for €90 or so in numerous places. R.O.Republic

Stall the ball there now , without knowing exactly what's being done , how do you know if it's good value or not? If you want just the gas pressure tested , a quich gloss over with a damp meter , and the mains polarity checked , well yeah , any of us in the trade could do it for that or less . Do they check the charging , 12v and 220v? The boiler , fridge , service the flue(s)? Check th water system for leaks , pressure etc? Wind out the awning and lube the joints and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DhyanT

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Stall the ball there now , without knowing exactly what's being done , how do you know if it's good value or not? If you want just the gas pressure tested , a quich gloss over with a damp meter , and the mains polarity checked , well yeah , any of us in the trade could do it for that or less . Do they check the charging , 12v and 220v? The boiler , fridge , service the flue(s)? Check th water system for leaks , pressure etc? Wind out the awning and lube the joints and so on?

Ah now Aida, don't shoot the messenger. I take your point, but maybe, just maybe, there's a bit more than just your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Help please, Just trying to charge up my campervan and had it plugged into the house all day and no change to the battery,still flat.It was all right when I brought it home and died over the next couple of days.I have a feeling its a button I dont know about somewhere.The van is a dethletts,globetrotter ,1994 ,german on a transit .Hope you can help.Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Here is what should be involved in a Habitation Check

irishtear wrote: »
    Help please, Just trying to charge up my campervan and had it plugged into the house all day and no change to the battery,still flat.It was all right when I brought it home and died over the next couple of days.I have a feeling its a button I dont know about somewhere.The van is a dethletts,globetrotter ,1994 ,german on a transit .Hope you can help.Thanks .
    You might be better posting a new thread about this to get a response

Did you check the fuses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

No point starting a new thread!
    Do any of ye get a Habitation Check done on yer vans?
    If so, How often? Where? How much? etc
    Thanks in advance.

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Been meaning to for years but never got round to it.
    I remember Aidan_M_M talking about it on this forum a long time ago - He's a motorhome dealer in Borrisokane maybe he'll see this and reply or you could PM him.
    Edit: here's a few links

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58599900

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77881955

• Advertisement

Thanks Seamus! He has already commented in this thread (It's an old thread from 2012 that I've resurrected - no point starting a new thread!)
    I know roughly what's covered. I'm more interested in hearing if owners get a Habitation Check done on yer vans?
    If so, How often? Where? How much? etc.

Thanks for the links Seamus!
    I found the first link earlier and the second link is this thread!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Thanks for the links Seamus!
    I found the first link earlier and the second link is this thread!:)
    Thought it looked vaguely familiar when I was posting it... Finally losing the marbles . :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

mine is currently with Tristan in Pat Horans for a service and habitation check

karmaan wrote: »
    mine is currently with Tristan in Pat Horans for a service and habitation check

How much does he charge for the habitation check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

silve wrote: »

I agree with all of that - had mine done there last year autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

How long is a piece of string! There are so many variables that could influence the price. I'm sure if you went to them asking for a timing belt and/or oil change then yes, they could quote you. But unless they see the van and see what needs doing it is impossible to quote an exact price for a habitation check. You could ring them and ask a rough guide price based on your van, what equipment is has, how old it is etc and maybe then they might offer you a guide price, assuming all is well with the van and no damp found for example!

Lanshane wrote: »

How long is a piece of string! There are so many variables that could influence the price. I'm sure if you went to them asking for a timing belt and/or oil change then yes, they could quote you. But unless they see the van and see what needs doing it is impossible to quote an exact price for a habitation check. You could ring them and ask a rough guide price based on your van, what equipment is has, how old it is etc and maybe then they might offer you a guide price, assuming all is well with the van and no damp found for example!
    Got it done the weekend and that's not the case. The exact price for the habitation check is €200. Repairs are extra.
    By the way, timing belt and oil change etc are nothing to do with the habitation check. The habitation check covers http://www.motorhomefacts.com/habitation-service.html

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Got it done the weekend and that's not the case. The exact price for the habitation check is €200. Repairs are extra.
    By the way, timing belt and oil change etc are nothing to do with the habitation check. The habitation check covers http://www.motorhomefacts.com/habitation-service.html
    Great, thanks for that info.

Who did it for you?

Do you get a printed habitation certificate or something to that effect?

• Advertisement

Lanshane wrote: »
    Great, thanks for that info.

Who did it for you?

Do you get a printed habitation certificate or something to that effect?
    Donagheys in Letterkenny. Got a copy of the checksheet - similiar to this one http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules/Habitation_Service/AWSMotorhomeAnnualServiceChecksheet140809.pdf

Advertisement