Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did the British send the Scottish in as settlers

Options
  • 31-03-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I find the whole northern Ireland situation interesting so I read a bit about the history of it all and from what I've gathered, most of the NI prods aren't actually descended from the English, most of them are descended from Scottish people. The British sent mainly Scottish people in as settlers. Why was that? Seems like a smart move from a strategic standpoint seeing as the Scottish consider themselves distinct from other British people and are more likely to want to separate from the UK than any other part of the UK. Giving the Scottish a new enemy (the Irish) would have provoked them to seek support from the rest of the UK and thus, help ensure that the Scottish people want to remain British. Thats just my uneducated opinion so feel free to correct me if I'm completely wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Did the scots not start settling before the ascension of james to the british throne? if so you can hardly say the british made them settle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

History and politics forums are that way
    >

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement