Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path of Exile - public stress test weekend

Options
  • 31-03-2012 12:14pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Diablo style hack n slash isometric RPG.
    Playing it myself for the first time this morning, pretty damn good so far.
    Why not watch this gameplay footage and commentary while you download the client,well worth a play folks.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Will try it, definitely looks promising

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played it for a few hours there. It's actually very good. Reminds me of Titans Quest, but better. For a free to play game, it's very well done. Will definitely pump a few more hours in over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Took me a good 5 minutes to get past the captcha thing on account creation...

Does this mean I am not human:(

For those wondering, The client is 3.65GB in size.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im really liking it,the community seem pretty chuffed with it too.
    I spoke to one of the devs Chris on the server and he was saying their plan is longterm ie a 10 year project after release and they are not worried about competition short term.
    I believe there are only 9 people involved in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

A surprisingly good game, Feels very much like Diablo 2 with it's own unique twists.

Not mad on the fact there is no gold in the game, And trades are done using a bartering system, But other than that it is a pretty solid game, And well worth the attention of anyone looking for a Diablo 2.5 and feels Diablo 3 is not worth the €40.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

and feels Diablo 3 is not worth the €40.

closer to €60 :(

Played a few more hours this morning, and it really is very good. Playing as a Duelist, and am flying through it. Started to get some decent loot as well, and although i'm not too fond of the payment/barter system, if nothing else it's interesting. For a f2p game, it's excellent.

Great game, already can't put it down, reached level 9 so far.
    Really enjoying it a lot more than i did with the Diablo 3 beta

The skill tree's are fuppin massive :eek:

KilOit wrote: »
    Great game, already can't put it down, reached level 9 so far.
    Really enjoying it a lot more than i did with the Diablo 3 beta

I havent played D3 beta but the general consensus from those chatting in the game this weekend is they prefer it to Diablo3, then again that could be your usual "i hate blizzard" types.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    I havent played D3 beta but the general consensus from those chatting in the game this weekend is they prefer it to Diablo3, then again that could be your usual "i hate blizzard" types.

I'd say once you get your teeth sunk into Diablo 3 it will be great, but short term the combat just felt better in Path Of Exile. i love blizz games, big fan of WoW and Starcraft 2 was one of my favorite games in 2010, hard to put my finger on it but just wasn't that much fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a great little game. My brain started to melt when I saw the skill tree (well, it's more of a skill splatter).

Gets pretty hard in act 2, i'm level 17-18 or so and tried the Church Dungeon, got my ass handed to me with so many mobs. Need to start grouping up me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Only found this yesterday about 9pm, so only managed to get an hour or so out of it last night. Very much enjoyed what little I played though! Sadly I'd say the public stress test is over, so no more for me for a while :( Fingers crossed they open it up again in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Apparently, the devs are opening up the cosmetic microtranactions this week and anyone who buys anything is given a beta key also.

Yea, spotted this news item confirming same - http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2012-04-02/weekendwentwell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If anyone has a spare key going it'd be greatly appreciated. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Really enjoyed it this weekend, made a few chars and played in the hardcore league. Definitely gonna pre purchase some items to get beta access when they announce full details of it.

I'd pay for beta access, want to play now :(

Probably the best combat ive played in the genre.

• Advertisement

fingers crossed they get the store up and running this week - would be great to get a key before the 4 day weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Really want to get my hands on this as I was away for the weekend and will happily pay a small fee to get access to the beta!!

Open Beta again this weekend, May 11-13 :)
    Subject: Path of Exile's massive content patch and Open Weekend
    Hi wossack,

This week, we announced the Shadow, our Dexterity/Intelligence character class. He prefers to use fast-hitting weapons such as daggers or claws to dart in and out of battle, while laying Traps or Remote Mines and controlling the flow of combat with deadly spells. You can read more about the Shadow here: http://www.pathofexile.com/classes/shadow

We're opening up the Path of Exile Beta to everyone this weekend, May 11-13, so that we can stress-test our servers in preparation for entering Open Beta. This Open Weekend is the ideal time to invite your friends to play the game with you. The Shadow class will be playable from this weekend onwards.

The public weekend in March was a huge success and attracted 47,000 players. We're keen to try to push that limit! There's a list of frequently asked questions about the public weekend here: http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/

Today we deployed the 0.9.9 Beta patch, which has been described as the most important patch the game has ever had. In addition to adding ten new skills, four new support gems, a new quest, monster type and many bug fixes, it introduced a completely revamped monster AI and behaviour system. We're pleased to say that these changes have made Path of Exile more fun and challenging than it has ever been before.

Due to the substantial balance changes, we have migrated all existing Beta characters and items to the Legacy League (like we did with 0.9.8) so that there's a fresh economy and ladder in both the Default and Hardcore leagues.

This is a great opportunity for you to show your friends the Path of Exile Beta and play alongside them while exploring the new updates. We're hosting developer-run events at various times over the weekend, so you can show off the skills you acquired playing earlier versions of the Beta too.

I look forward to seeing you in game!

Kind regards,
    Chris Wilson
    Grinding Gear Games

Nice preview over on gamespy.
    This game deserves all the publicity it can get, to go up against the huge budget of blizzard and produce something a lot of people prefer than diablo3 is admirable to say the least, from what i played its a brilliant game,im very much looking forward to release.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/path-of-exile/1224771p1.html

Can a mod please change the name of this thread to just Path of Exile since the stress test has passed and it seems this has turned into our path of exile thread.

Just got accepted into the closed beta :D
    Perfect timing tbh as im bored of diablo3 atm.

Advertisement