Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths vs. Third Level

Options
  • 31-03-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello, not sure if this is the appropriate thread but anyway, I'm strongly considering doing a pure maths degree with preference for Trinity. I have an aptitude for the subject and having changed my mind multiple times on various courses I've decided it would be my favourite thing to do. Can anyone advise me on the differences in Third Level with regards to difficulty, compared to leaving cert honours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

If you are comfortable and content with Leaving Cert Higher Level material then University Maths shouldn't be too difficult for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think if its something you really enjoy and you get good marks(ie min B1s) you should go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

Thanks for the responses guys! Out of interest did/do you study it? Also, what is selection like, how soon can you begin choosing what areas you want to do? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

TIMR007ROX wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys! Out of interest did/do you study it? Also, what is selection like, how soon can you begin choosing what areas you want to do? :pac:

My friend's brother did it and thats what he said, he also found it boring but he probably wasn't suited to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

There's a thread over in the maths forum you should look at:Pure Maths as a Degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

If you want to study maths at 3rd level. one thing you have to be sure of is that you do like maths. A few people I've noticed enjoy maths at LC level because there good at it and find it easy, and then when they get to 3rd level, things aren't so easy anymore and they don't like it as much. Although if you do like maths, then you probably will like TCD's course (I'm a theoretical physics student, so I do 2/3 of the maths course.)

Also one thing I like about TCD maths, it's probably the easiest college to find the list of modules :pac:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/modules/index.php?file=jfmaths

Advertisement