Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balon Greyjoy

Options
  • 30-03-2012 10:35am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Spoilers for season 2!

One thing that bugs me from the second book and which I'll be curious to see played out on screen are Balon Greyjoy's motivations for screwing Robb Stark and attacking the North.  I suppose the character is never really that well developed and it could be just a personal beef with Ned Stark taking his only remaining son away from him, but it still doesn't sit right.  I don't recall too much about the rebellion but it seems odd for Greyjoy to harbour any resentment specifically towards Stark / the North, considering it was Robert who put the rebellion down and seemingly the other major houses helped too.

Take away the personal aspect and why would Greyjoy attack the North instead of attacking south and supporting the Northern claim for sovereignty?  It made sense for Robb to seek an alliance of sorts, as their goals were mutually beneficial.  It was the Baratheons and Lannisters who sought to maintain dominion over the North and the Iron Islands; Robb Stark had declared independence and if Balon wanted to be King of the Iron Islands surely the logical step would be to join forces with the Northmen in fighting off the Southren houses. 

Instead he attacks the North, cutting Stark off and leaving him in a very difficult position.  If Stark loses in the south, and one of the Baratheons or Lannisters emerges as the sole victor, then what's going to happen?  He could quickly end up as the last remaining rebel king, once again up against the entire realm.

Also, when you look at the maps, the Iron Islands are closer to Lannisport etc than they are to the parts of the north that they invaded.  What's the point of grabbing a few cold, stony beaches a long way from home, instead of the richest part of the realm that's practically on your doorstep?  I don't get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Personally I think he was just a bitter old man, and that comes across well in the books. His two older sons died, and Stark took his youngest son as a hostage to ensure his good behaviour. I personally wouldn't think that he'd need much more motivation than that to be honest. If there'd been a POV chapter for him, we might have gotten a bit more of his perspective, but we didn't and neither did Theon. I think the importance of that is that we see Theon as someone who's hungry for approval, and will do something without fully understanding why he's doing it, in order to get approval from his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I thought it made sense, the armies are all fighting in the south, the iron born have no love for any of them so when the opportunity presented to seize the undefended territory they ran with it, I don't think balon would have approved of theons move tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

in the second book I remember thinking 'is is just as simple as I crown myself and I am King and therefore I try and conquor -wherever I can'.

I have read all the books but didnt really delve an awful lot into characters/plots etc. Just enjoyed discussing them with a workmate who had also read them. I reckon a lot of plots etc went over my head as I read the boks so quickly.

Looking forward to re-reading the books so I can pick up on all these things and maybe watching the TV series - have only watched the first ep of the first series so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I can't imagine that the reason for the attack on the North was down to resentment of Ned for taking Theon... I really don't get any sense of fatherly love/duty from Balon towards him at all in the books (although I have only read the first 2 tbf). If anything, I'd think it was to spite Theon slightly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

One thing that bugs me from the second book and which I'll be curious to see played out on screen are Balon Greyjoy's motivations for screwing Robb Stark and attacking the North. I suppose the character is never really that well developed and it could be just a personal beef with Ned Stark taking his only remaining son away from him, but it still doesn't sit right. I don't recall too much about the rebellion but it seems odd for Greyjoy to harbour any resentment specifically towards Stark / the North, considering it was Robert who put the rebellion down and seemingly the other major houses helped too.

I suppose I'm speculating to a certain extent, but:
    1. He wanted revenge for the defeat by Robert and Ned Stark. The North was a nearer target.
    2. There was a suggestion of a historical feud between the Iron Islands and the North.
    3. They are presented as a bloodthirsty bunch, unlike the others who seem to be more cerebral in their strategy.
    4. As Tzar Chasm points out, the North was poorly defended while the south was where all the action was.
    5. The attack on the north was unexpected and if I recall correctly they feigned attacks along the coast to keep the northerners off guard.
    6. Possibly Moat Calin would be a good defensive position for a weak army to hold against the larger forces.
    7. There is the suggestion that he was planning his attack since his rebellion was put down. Therefore, he may have been looking into the possibility of attacking a united kingdom. Invading the north would prevent being attacked from all sides.
    8. George R. R. Martin's publisher wanted the books to be more exicting and he needed a bit of good old fashioned betrayal.
    9. Maybe he is depicted as not being as strategically adept as Euron.
    Take away the personal aspect and why would Greyjoy attack the North instead of attacking south and supporting the Northern claim for sovereignty?

My recollection is that he didn't care about his son at all and I didn't see it as being in any way personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

This thread should either have spoilers in the title or spoilers tags in the posts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

s.welstead wrote: »
    This thread should either have spoilers in the title or spoilers tags in the posts.

Its the very first line.

Plus, since he hasn't appeared in the TV series I would've thought it was fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I have a problem with the concept of the Iron Islands themselves. GRRM constantly goes on about the islands being barren and barely habitable yet somehow they support a fleet of hundreds of fighting ships (not traders or fishing boats) and at least several thousand fit, strong fighting men.

If the Iron Born don't sow crops, don't fish and don't trade where in the hell do they get food for tens of thousands of people and wood for hundreds of fighting ships. There is no way that pillaging or plundering could provide that much food or lumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Their "thralls" and "salt-wives" sow, harvest and fish. I get the impression that some of the non-fighting commoners would be involved in this. Remember: "We Do Not Sow" are the words of House Greyjoy, not all of the Iron Islanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ned Killed 2 of his sons and took Theon as a ward. Ned being the warm center of the north made him hate the North-men and Robb. At least thats what I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement