Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Kindle question + an update on my upcoming book!

Options
  • 30-03-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

It's been a few months but you may recall that I posted a few brief details of an upcoming book that I've been writing on, a humourous list-based project which I began last year. In the recent months I've decided to go down the Kindle publishing route and I'm pleased to say that if all goes well, I should have a thread announcing the book's release and full details in about three months time.

My question, however, is that since my book tackles a universal subject (I'm sorry I can't be more specific yet), would I be better off writing it an American-English? Or should I release a UK and US version with the correct spelling for each?

Although I'd like to write and publish the book in my native written language, I'm aware that my main audience are likely to be Americans due to the sheer volume of Kindle owners and I wouldn't want to see reviews claiming that the book was riddled with spelling errors.

If anyone has experienced a similar dilemma in the past please let me know. And though I'm bursting to say more about the content of my book, I will bite my tongue for now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I would go with American spelling. I got hung out to dry for Irish-isms in my first book, not just colour/color but car park/parking lot.

I would not bother with two different books, because a lot of people, will use Amazon.com to buy e-books, even if they use Amazon.co.uk for print books.

However, I would get an American to go over it and make sure it really is relevant to the American market. You pretty much need to translate the damn thing. Just yesterday, I noticed I had taps in a bathroom, instead of faucets in the restroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

EileenG wrote: »
    I would go with American spelling. I got hung out to dry for Irish-isms in my first book, not just colour/color but car park/parking lot.

I would not bother with two different books, because a lot of people, will use Amazon.com to buy e-books, even if they use Amazon.co.uk for print books.

However, I would get an American to go over it and make sure it really is relevant to the American market. You pretty much need to translate the damn thing. Just yesterday, I noticed I had taps in a bathroom, instead of faucets in the restroom.

Thanks for that. I plan on having a journalist friend rigourously edit the book to within an inch of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Get an American to read it with a brutal eye as well. As I said, it's not just spelling, it's a whole difference vocabulary and mindset.

Advertisement