Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklist a Landlord?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to get a Landlord banned from renting? and if so, what is the process?
    Thanks all.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I can't see any circumstances under which this would be legally an option. Once a person owns a property, it is theirs to with what they will. If they do something illegal it is up to the authorities to deal with that illegality but I really can't see how a person can be told they are not allowed to be a landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This is more a legal question than a property one though.

A quick google found this
    Under the proposals, landlords would be obliged to have minimum energy standards by 2020 or they could lose government support in the Rent Supplement or Rental Accommodation Schemes.

http://blogs.myhome.ie/2011/11/28/landlords-could-face-rent-ban-if-energy-efficiency-standards-arent-met/

I expect they could be banned but what what mechanism I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Massive difference to saying a property is not to standard and banning a person from a legal activity. The answer is no you can't ban somebody from being a landlord

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Bobokerr wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to get a Landlord banned from renting? and if so, what is the process?
    Thanks all.

Apply for an injunction to the High Court. If you present a convincing enough case you will get an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You could make it hard to impossible for him to rent again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Complain to the local Community Welfare Officer.

Complain to the Garda about criminal behaviour.

Complain to the council Housing Department.

Complain to the PRTB - this requires a fee.

Complain to the fire brigade Fire Officer.

All the complaints need to be justified.

Advertisement