Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Books

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Anybody know some good zombie books? I've read The Rise of The Governor, it's pretty good and I'd like to read some more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Well Kirkman has written loads of stuff, so if you like it - he'll keep you going for quite a while!

But, World War Z is my favorite, and the Zombie Survival Guide is good to read beforehand (both by Max Brooks)

I also really enjoyed Day By Day Armageddon, by someone or other Bourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Charlie Higson's books The Enemy, The Dead and The Fear are very good.

You could also look at the Zombietainment thread, it's a list of any notable zombie work we've come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Kash wrote: »
    Well Kirkman has written loads of stuff, so if you like it - he'll keep you going for quite a while!

But, World War Z is my favorite, and the Zombie Survival Guide is good to read beforehand (both by Max Brooks)

I also really enjoyed Day By Day Armageddon, by someone or other Bourne.

+1 on Day By Day Armageddon, the sequel is pretty good too . Not sure if there is a third on the way

Flu by Wayne Simmons is an ok read . Zombies, RUC/PSNI and IRA all in one book

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bible3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

bible3.gif

That's just uncalled for, and I'm saying that as someone who isn't religious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the american south is that-a-way

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

I don't know....that recommendation isn't a bad idea really. I mean, in Isaiah it tells us how to survive the zombie apocalypse:

Isaiah 26:19

19 But your dead will live;
    their bodies will rise.
    You who dwell in the dust,
    wake up and shout for joy.
    Your dew is like the dew of the morning;
    the earth will give birth to her dead.

20 Go, my people, enter your rooms
    and shut the doors behind you;
    hide yourselves for a little while
    until his wrath has passed by.

And zombies are also mentioned in Matthew, twice (example: Jesus tells his disciples to go forth and raise the dead), and in 1 Corinthians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that passage was made entirely of win!

Nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I am reading my first zombie book "zombie apocalpse". Its a great read the story is told through letters, emails, tweets, voicemails etc from the view point of many people, I can hardly put it down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pixie84

The Rising, City of the dead, Dead Sea...all by Brian Keene. Excellent books, graphic, scary and really make you think!

• Advertisement

i Recommended it elsewhere but "Tooth and Nail" is well worth a read .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

This may be sacrelige but i read max brooks new book Closure limited and didn't find it very good, it was rather disjointed and the only reasonably interesting part was the bit about the vampires which i'd read online somewhere anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

these are a few of the books i have read recently and what i thought of them:

Bourne, JL - Day By Day Armageddon, and the 2nd book Beyond Exile
    Absolutely excellent books I really like his take on the zombies, they are the traditional slow zombies with some faster ones thrown in here and there to spice things up (it is explained why some are faster and stronger than others). His first book focuses on the a small group of survivors and how they make their way in the new world. The second book (and the best in my oppinion) opens up the world a bit more - you get to find out what happened to a lot of the military and government and cities and the main character goes cross country - I literally had no nails left after reading this book. I cant wait for the next one.

Ex-Heroes - Peter Clines
    This is a crossover book with superheroes and zombies. It is a bit of a fluff piece but I still really enjoyed reading it and am looking for the 2nd book Ex-Patriots.
    It goes through how the world crumbled and the back stories of the heroes using "then" and "now" chapters.
    I know a lot of people on here wont like it because it is a crossover but I would recommend giving it a chance.

Joseph Talluto - White Flag Of The Dead, Taking it back, America the Dead
    These are the first in a four book series (i have read the first three).
    I don't know what to say about these books because they did keep me glued to my seat while i was reading them but when i was finished the third book i had no interest in looking for the fourth.
    The first book is good, I liked how the main character prepared and acted and I liked that he was dragging his five month old baby around with him - but it was the best behaved baby I have ever heard of and the writer broke his own "rules" (every zombie book has different rules on how the zombies behave) quite a bit throughout the series whenever it suited him.
    Quite frankly the third book was just plain stupid in my oppinion
    im not American so maybe I just dont get it - but a bad guy decided to go to Washington and destroy the Declaration of rights and the Constitution because he didnt like people saying "I have rights", so the good guys decide to race to Washington to rescue these documents - voluntarily heading into a huge city where they know there is bound to be huge zombie activity, when they had already ruled out going near Chicago because it was infested.
    rant over :o
    anyway they are probably worth reading if you need a zombie hit.

Rhiannon Frater - As The World Dies Book One - The First Days
    link to the free e-book:
    file:///C:/Users/Clodagh/Desktop/Stuff/Ebooks/As%20the%20World%20Dies/Rhiannon%20Frater%20-%20As%20The%20World%20Dies%20Book%20One%20-%20The%20First%20Days.html

Rhiannon Frater - As The World Dies Book Two - Fighting To Survive
    link to the free e-book:
    file:///C:/Users/Clodagh/Desktop/Stuff/Ebooks/As%20the%20World%20Dies/Rhiannon%20Frater%20-%20As%20The%20World%20Dies%20Book%20Two%20-%20Fighting%20To%20Survive.html

Rhiannon Frater - As The World Dies - Siege
    These books are ok but at times I skipped whole sections or skimmed over them because the writer kept going on and on about the characters feelings and there were a few love stories that just made me want to cringe but there was some good action and the story was good overall and was constantly moving forward - there were a lot of characters and i did overall enjoy the books - the third one was a bit wierd and went a bit too supernatural at the end - and its a pity that the writer went down that road because she could have had a really strong ending to the books with the attack of the huge horde of zombies.

Thanks Zomg okay and Kash im going to check out the books you suggested.

anomalous wrote: »

Bourne, JL - Day By Day Armageddon, and the 2nd book Beyond Exile
    Absolutely excellent books I really like his take on the zombies, they are the traditional slow zombies with some faster ones thrown in here and there to spice things up (it is explained why some are faster and stronger than others). His first book focuses on the a small group of survivors and how they make their way in the new world. The second book (and the best in my oppinion) opens up the world a bit more - you get to find out what happened to a lot of the military and government and cities and the main character goes cross country - I literally had no nails left after reading this book. I cant wait for the next one.

Have read them myself and they are decent reads, has the author confirmed a 3rd one ? Couldnt find anything online to say yes or no last time i looked

The ending of his 2nd book left it open for a sequel

I have recently got a kindle and I am amazed at the choice of Zombie books there are. I enjoyed Breaking news by N.J Hallard. There were 3 by shannon mayer bound,dauntless and sundered which should only have been one book and were good enough. I have lots of books purchased waiting to read and got a sample of most of the ones you guys have reccommended. This will help keep me going until walking dead returns.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 karenjlwalker

I've got to +1 on the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. Both books are very well written, WWZ being my favourite of the two. I don't really want to get into revealing much about it because if I do, i'll not shut up.

It will have you re-assessing your current zombie plan and will likely point it out to have more holes in it than a fat corpse at a zombie buffet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazylady1

I think Mark Tufo is a very good writer. He wrote a series of zombie books called "zombie fallout". Im up to book 3. I think they're hilarious!! I laughed out loud a load of times reading them. Brilliant!

crazylady1 wrote: »
    I think Mark Tufo is a very good writer. He wrote a series of zombie books called "zombie fallout". Im up to book 3. I think they're hilarious!! I laughed out loud a load of times reading them. Brilliant!

I am reading this series at the moment, I am on book 2 its excellent, app book 5 is a let down though. I have also read books one and two in the contagium contrilogy by Emily Goodwin its a great read cant wait for book 3.

I am reading this series at the moment, I am on book 2 its excellent, app book 5 is a let down though. I have also read books one and two in the contagium contrilogy by Emily Goodwin its a reat read cant wait for book 3.[/Quote]

I must check out those books by Emily Goodwin. Thanks

I also enjoyed The Enemy, The Dead and the Fear by Charlie Higson, they are set in London, the story line is based on children and their survival as all adults over the age of 14 turn into zombies. I think they may be geared towards teenage boys but I enjoyed them!

• Advertisement

Daisy M wrote: »
    I also enjoyed The Enemy, The Dead and the Fear by Charlie Higson, they are set in London, the story line is based on children and their survival as all adults over the age of 14 turn into zombies. I think they may be geared towards teenage boys but I enjoyed them!

Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry I cant return the favour! Zombie fallout is the only zombie book I have read. I only became interested in zombie fiction after watching "the walking dead" tv series!!

crazylady1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry I cant return the favour! Zombie fallout is the only zombie book I have read. I only became interested in zombie fiction after watching "the walking dead" tv series!!

Snap!! I had been thinking of trying a few out and then a friend lent me one and I was hooked. They are hard got as library books here in the west but I got a kindle and I am reading zombie books at a pretty fast rate. I never realised there would be such a selection.

Advertisement