Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have time to get a Tattoo?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Hey there!

So I'm flying to Canada on a visa on the 16th and I wanna get inked before I go (cos tattoos are super expensive over there) but with booking in and such I'd be worried that the tattoo would dry out and get all crappy on the 13 hour flight.

What say the collective wisdom of this board?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Depends on what you're getting. Once you keep the piece well moisturised after the initial after care you should be fine. I could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see a problem really. Cover with moisturiser and some cling film.
    Is it something small or something big?
    On your back or arm or...?
    If it's in a place where it will rub against the seat it'll be very uncomfortable for 13 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It'll be on my lower leg. about 6x4 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Once you're not constantly scratching/at it and thus looking very shifty to security!

But would the fact that I'd be unable to put any cream on it for that amount of time not be detrimental to it? Specially considering that this tattoo should have vivid colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can bring a tiny amount of cream in your carry on. With cling film (and tape) it should be fine.
    Even of it gets dry it's not the end of the world. I got my first tatt in Singapore and next day went to Oz for several months, never covered it up or put cream on.
    +10 years later you can still see the colours fine.

Okay thanks for the help. Gonna try and get in sometime next week with someone and hopefully what I want is affordable!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

biko wrote: »
    I don't see a problem really. Cover with moisturiser and some cling film.
    Is it something small or something big?
    On your back or arm or...?
    If it's in a place where it will rub against the seat it'll be very uncomfortable for 13 hours...

Dont cover it with clingfilm after the initial wrap on the day of the tattoo--Its asking for trouble.All youre doing is creating a greenhouse for bacteria to grow in.

biko wrote: »
    Even of it gets dry it's not the end of the world. I got my first tatt in Singapore and next day went to Oz for several months, never covered it up or put cream on.
    +10 years later you can still see the colours fine.

Exactly this^^^you dont need to wrap it and keep it from breathing.Bring a small tube of moisturiser on the plane with you and you`ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

i presume you're not going to get the tattoo then head straight for the airport, so you'll be grand.

it'll have a day or two to stop weeping and start healing, so as said, keep it well moisturized and there wont be a problem.
    ive been to nyc the last 3 years in a row for a few days at a time and had tattoos done each trip. 6 hour, 8 hour, and 8 hour sittings, all on my lower tight leg. got the tattoos and usually had 3 days before i flew back home and never had any problems. dont wear tight jeans and you'll be fine. put moisturizer on it at the last opertunity you can and then relax and enjoy the flight. if you can bring more on with you, good, if not, dont pannic over it.

i never wrap mine beyond the initial wrap for the trip from the tattoo shop to the hotel, then i have a shower and thats it. it's not wrapped again.

The artist I wanted (Pawel in Skin CIty) is booked until May :(

Any of you guys know another artist who does amazing colour?
    zmm-skullkid.jpg
    That's what I want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The artist I wanted (Pawel in Skin CIty) is booked until May :(

Any of you guys know another artist who does amazing colour?
    zmm-skullkid.jpg
    That's what I want!

Woyt in Wildcat Jervis.

Got the first session of my new tattoo done yesterday by him, it's unreal.

Just check his portfolio for colour work, he's criminally under-rated.

Advertisement