Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing your first race - How do you know if you're ready?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a newbie triathlete, as some of you know, I'm becoming a lot more comfortable on the bike and with the swim, the running still needs work and I'm trying to steadily build that up. I haven't been doing runs with the club, as I'd probably make a holy show of meself :)

I had originally planned to have my first race under my belt by the end of May, either the Exposure Castlebar - Sprint, or the Fingal Sprint (both pool based and both the easiest for me to get to for my first one).

As the time gets closer to make a final decision on what to register for, I'm kind of panicking. I know I'm not going to place, or have any earth shattering times etc. but I know I'll also be pretty demoralised if I'm being passed out by all and sundry, and I worry this will put me off doing any more races.

I am competitive, but I'm finding it quite hard to know how I'm progressing with the training. I don't really have anyone to compare myself to, other than at the swimming.

I know I could finish a race right now, but am I as well to enter my first and get it out of the way, or should I wait 'til I feel more confident, maybe later in the summer?

Any advice on choosing races would be welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I know nothing about the Fingal race but I would imagine the Castlebar race will be very low key. I would doubt too many of the top guys will enter this. I know my nephew is entering it and it will be his first ever race, he can hardly swim so the pool suits him.

They will also be done in swim waves so you will never be too sure about how you are faring during the race which is no bad thing sometimes.

I did Nenagh as my first race not realizing it was a National Series race that was loaded with the top guys and I wasn't far off last in it, was great though as I had the whole summer to try and improve and I entered a good few races after. If you leave it too late you risk either A. damn all races left or B No spaces left

Castlebar deffo wont be like Nenagh as regards quality of entrant and the guy Tom O Dowd that is running it from Exposure is a decent guy and will look after you

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Sometimes you have just to jump into things blind and decide whether it is suitable or not afterwards!!!

However, there is always a wide range of abilities and it sounds like you have put a bit of effort into already so i doubt you would finish last and so what if you did!

A pool based tri sounds like a good place to start, so just go for it wherever it is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Amz wrote: »
    I'm a newbie triathlete, as some of you know, I'm becoming a lot more comfortable on the bike and with the swim, the running still needs work and I'm trying to steadily build that up. I haven't been doing runs with the club, as I'd probably make a holy show of meself :)

I had originally planned to have my first race under my belt by the end of May, either the Exposure Castlebar - Sprint, or the Fingal Sprint (both pool based and both the easiest for me to get to for my first one).

As the time gets closer to make a final decision on what to register for, I'm kind of panicking. I know I'm not going to place, or have any earth shattering times etc. but I know I'll also be pretty demoralised if I'm being passed out by all and sundry, and I worry this will put me off doing any more races.

I am competitive, but I'm finding it quite hard to know how I'm progressing with the training. I don't really have anyone to compare myself to, other than at the swimming.

I know I could finish a race right now, but am I as well to enter my first and get it out of the way, or should I wait 'til I feel more confident, maybe later in the summer?

Any advice on choosing races would be welcome :)

Its your first race, you will get a spanking.

Doesn't matter how long you leave it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You'll have all those questions if you race next month or in 12 months time. If you can finish it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fingal was my first last year and it was fine in the end.

The slower swimmers go off first and the 15 lengths fly by. I would definitely recommend it to any new triathletes.

If you've signed up for the training day in the other thread then you'll get to do the course over a few hours so you'll know exactly what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

Fingal was my first last year and it was fine in the end.

The slower swimmers go off first and the 15 lengths fly by. I would definitely recommend it to any new triathletes.

If you've signed up for the training day in the other thread then you'll get to do the course over a few hours so you'll know exactly what to expect.

Here is the link to the training day thread. This event will be perfect for you Amz.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056584680

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

My first race turned out to be my best race since. :(

Have you thought about the Try a Tri events? I think Sligo and Athy do these, they are good to give you an idea of transitions, preparation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Amz, correct me if I have anything wrong here, but you are a pretty good swimmer regularly covering 2k+ in a session. And you recently did a 100km cycle. Your run is your weakness but everyone has a weakness, especially starting out.

In my first race I did a lot of the swim on my back just kicking. That's how bad my swim was. It was 3 races before I properly swam the whole thing and even then I swam off course and crashed into a kayak!

No matter how weak your run is you are unlikely to have to walk any part of it and even more unlikely to run off course.

You're ready. And I bet you'll surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Heh! Thanks guys, I'm thinkin' I'll do the Sprint in Castlebar on the 22nd.

Might do the beginners day too, as then I'll be aware of what the reality is so will know what I er, don't know or something.

Think I'll focus on my running before then, so that it's less of a weaknes and just keep the swim and bike training (minimal and all as it is) ticking over.

At least entering a race will give me a goal.

Probably shouldn't be announcing these intentions so publicly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Few bad weeks since my last post, flare up of a calf injury has meant I've done no running for the last 2 weeks and I now have an ear infection, so Castlebar is out.

Really disappointed, but will either do Fingal sprint at the end of May, or Westport sprint at the end of June. But need to get a bit of open water experience for the latter.

Would it be worth doing a couple of aquathlons first to get used to it, or is that a bad idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I believe the swim in Westport is along the Quay, where it's very sheltered and should be no problem for a good swimmer. It may be my first tri and I can barely swim the distance. The upside is I should be passing people for the rest of the race.:)

Advertisement