Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview Questions for summer job

Options
  • 29-03-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

So I have an interview next week for a summer job. The company writes their software in Java.
    I'm only in second year of college and we did Java this year. We mainly did data structures and algorithms.

What sort of questions could be asked? I am just going over all my notes and assignments at the moment and I'm hoping that might be enough..but I'm probably wrong.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'd read up on OOP theory such as inheritance, polymorphism, etc. Data structures and algorithms should be on the menu but you have that covered. Knowledge of the SDLC would also be good. Knowing (or just knowing of) specific Java frameworks such as Hibernate and Spring would be useful. Familiarity with a database such as Oracle or MySQL would be an advantage as well as knowing SQL. Also if they do web based stuff knowledge of J2EE features would be good. You should be familiar with how Java works with regards to the JVM and memory management (garbage collection).

You should make sure you are able to discuss some college/OSS project that you've done. Also you should know some blogs/forums/newsletters to show you keep on top of where the industry is currently and where it's going. Also know what the company does and know what you want to get out of the internship (and try make sure that coincides with what they are offering).

This is a fairly exhaustive list so don't worry if there is holes in your knowledge, it is expected at this stage. Don't try bullsh!t instead put across a willingness to work and learn. I've bolded what I'd consider the most important!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Consider what kind of software they are writing (web development, desktop applications, service/middleware, etc) and understanding of the domain(s) they are working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Smaller things like Version Control, IDEs etc will be helpful as the summer job will be short and they won't have time to train you in those things or basic computer usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Read this. It really helps. In fact I would recommend everyone buy a copy of this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098478280X/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Know how to reverse a string.

You would be surprised how often it is asked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement