Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Student grants for dependent family members of Irish national

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Alright guys help me out here.

My dad is a naturalised Irish citizen and I came to Ireland to join him after he became Irish. Started getting my Gnib (stamp 4) when I reached 16 and have been renewing it ever since.

I am now in my 2nd year in college and having great difficulty paying my fees (eu). I applied for my student grants early and submitted all the requested documents.
    The county Dublin VEC seem to hold the opinion that I am not eligible for a grant as my dad is Irish and I only have permission to remain because I am his dependent child.

This constitutes some form of discrimination against Irish nationals as other Eu citizens and their family members have a special provision under the student grants scheme 2011 to be eligible. Spouses of Irish nationals and their dependents are also accounted for, but the immediate family member (e.g sons and daughters) of the Irish national are left out.

This policy makes no sense as I am about dropping out of college and do try to earn a honest living without help from anybody. If my education is cut, the prospect of gaining employment with the economic situation is almost zero.

I am absolutely shocked about this abnormally because the state can afford to fund my dole when I drop out but not even a fee grant. And yes I do qualify for the dole.

Sorry for the rant at the end but I am deeply worried so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

The STUDENT must prove residency in their own right. You must reside in the State for three years out of the last five. When u got your stamp 4 the first time, you would have received a letter from the Dept. of Justice giving the reason why you are allowed to remain in Ireland. If this permission comes under section 3 of the Immigration Act you should be eligible to apply for public funds. If you don't have this letter, your VEC can check with the Dept of Justice if you supply them with your stamp 4 details Ref no. etc. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kiidfresh

Thanks..dept. of justice wrote to the VEC saying "you have acquired leave to remain on a stamp 4 based on your father being naturalised". Also being resident for more than 3 years and even been granted citizenship pending payment of €950 which i obviously can't afford till my fees are sorted (hopefully).

I'm really gutted because there is literally about 3 weeks to the end of the year and i have no clue as to how to proceed. The major problem I think is I have a stamp 4 instead of stamp 4 eufam. The GNIB for some reason does not give that out to family members of Irish nationals however family members of other EU states get this card. They even qualify for free fees.

Its a grey area and I hope it can be rectified soon for the sake of other people caught in this situation. In the mean time, all I can do is hope everything is going to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi Kiidfresh

Unfortunately you are in a situation that a lot of others are as well

http://www.integration.ie/website/omi/omiwebv6.nsf/page/infoformigrants-education-Higher%20Education-en

http://www.localemploymentservices.ie/html/Employment_Information_Booklet_May2010.pdf

I know that the Migrant Rights Centre Ireland are going to be starting a campaign on access to higher education for migrants - If you want more detail send me a PM

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kiidfresh

thanks a mill. Been in contact with my local TD and hopefully he can get the parliament to revise the student support act and scheme to allow for such provisions as this.

Like I said its a grey area and its up to the VEC to interpret the student support scheme and act.
    With the number of people who have family members that are Irish nationals, one would think they have a definitive stance other than some flaky answer.

On one hand, I'm told I need immigration clearance in my own right but that idea is slightly absurd. The dept. of Justice is never going to clear 16 year old's to say having work permits, asylum status or non of the other stuff in their own right.

The VEC even told me this matter wouldn't have been an issue last year. Seems the ambiguity was created in the student support act to exclude a certain group of people to reduce costs. Even stopping BTEA and maintenance grants at the same time shows how complicated they trying to make it to access these kind of funds.

Advertisement