Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Ray Robinson VS Tommy Hearns at 147, who wins?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people will say SRR, but who knows? Prime SRR lost to Jake La Motta, a Jake La Motta who some people say Hearns would beat.

Hearns was a devastating puncher at 147, I doubt SRR met many punchers like him. How do you see it going?

Who wins? 10 votes

Sugar Ray Robinson by KO
    0% 0 votes
    Tommy Hearns by KO
    80% 8 votes
    Sugar Ray Robinson by decision
    20% 2 votes
    Tommy Hearns by decision
    0% 0 votes
    Undecided.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,186 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can see only one result. The man with the sturdy chin and very good power beats the man with the very good power and suspect chin. Tommy's chin wasn't glass, but it needs to be at least solid or quite good to survive SRR power. SRL rocked and wobbled Tommy several times, and to me, SRR is even more vicious and dangerous a hitter and finisher than SRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Drooooooolllllling thinking about this matchup.

I firmly believe that Tommy Hearns was the best offensive fighter ever. Classic boxing skills, including possibly the best jab ever, with very quick hands and massive power. No fear whatsoever and decent defensive skills (though his brilliant offense was a big part of his defense).

The big problem would be the same as always. His chin. Sugar was almost as tall as him, nearly as fast and nearly as hard-hitting, so as good as Tommy was offensively he's gonna get hit. And hard! And Ray had a very good chin too, so I don't see Tommy stopping him.

Robinson by TKO somewhere around the 7th-9th while behind on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Great post and saves me answering

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,186 ✭✭✭✭walshb

megadodge wrote: »
    nearly as fast and nearly as hard-hitting, .

I would argue equal if not heavier. Impossible to prove, but Hearns power at WW, though very good, was probably better at 154 and 160 in a p4p sense. His KO % did drop at the higher weights, but that needs looking at; opposition level etc.

Obviously the added weight will probably result in more force generated if the speed of delivery is similar or almost equal.

The other point that I feel is important, and you touched on it, is the height. SRR was most likley 1/1.5 inches taller than SRL. Quite close to Tommy in height. Tommy's height and range were so important in his fight with SRL; big asset to him. Less an asset vs. SRR.

Advertisement