Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peregrine (was - name that bird)

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Sparrow hawk maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joered

paulusdu wrote: »
    Sparrow hawk maybe ?
    Thanks for reply paulusdu. Not sure if it's a sparrow hawk as it was a big seagull that it had just killed. That's what's puzzling me about it. It also looked bigger than a hawk

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Peregrine doesn't have the yellow eye and the white strip above it.

Google Sparrowhawk OP and you'll see a load of almost identical photos to your own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Peregrine for me too!
    The markings on the head, the size it appears to be, and the pattern on the chest all seem to point towards it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Peregrine for me too - note the distinctive moustache. These falcons are quiet fond of gulls at coastal sites:)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

ah ok, i'll change my guess so to peregrin. If thats a gull then it is too big for a sparrow hawk. and good spot on the moustache Birdnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I have to go with Peregrine Falcon too because mainly of the moustache and colouring. The chest streaks seem to be from top-to-bottom whereas in the Spawk they go side-to-side. Also I think a juvenile Peregrine has a slight light eye stripe.

Yep, I'm going with female Peregrine Falcon or juvenile. Really sticking out my neck to be chopped here....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

My original Id was also on the moustache

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is a Peregrine. Defo not a sparrowhawk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Definitely a Peregrine. I'd guess female judging by the size, especially the width across the chest.

darren016.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Photo of adult and juvenile side by side. Young bird has vertical brown stipes, adult has yellow around the eye, but eye is actually dark brown. The 'eye stripe' could cause confusion, but I would suggest the head might have got wet or the feathers got ruffled in the tussle. Dave
    Oh, both these birds are Falcons, that is female.

Advertisement