Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolmen Burren Challenge 2012, Sunday April 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

WakeyTyke wrote: »

You know this would be a great place to inform people about road closures etc

haybob wrote: »
    You know this would be a great place to inform people about road closures etc

That would be good idea, though there are no road closures in respect of these cycles only stewards who are concerned about the safety of the cyclists.

I am sorry that you were caught with a steward who might have been inexperienced or over zealous last Sunday, that was unfortunate. An experienced steward would allow the safe, free flow of traffic with the minimum disruption to road users.

Clare County Council have to authorise road closure and they have a statutory obligation to put notices in the Clare Champion to notify people of this.

That would be good idea, though there are no road closures in respect of these cycles only stewards who are concerned about the safety of the cyclists.

I am sorry that you were caught with a steward who might have been inexperienced or over zealous last Sunday, that was unfortunate. An experienced steward would allow the safe, free flow of traffic with the minimum disruption to road users.

Clare County Council have to authorise road closure and they have a statutory obligation to put notices in the Clare Champion to notify people of this.

I didn't start that thread because I wanted an apology or to get anyone in trouble and I'd be fine with road closures for races too, but on a fine Sunday I doubt some of the business people in Lahinch would be ok with that.

What I'm saying is that other road users and locals on the route should be properly notified, proper announcements and signage would be welcome

haybob wrote: »
    I didn't start that thread because I wanted an apology or to get anyone in trouble and I'd be fine with road closures for races too, but on a fine Sunday I doubt some of the business people in Lahinch would be ok with that.

What I'm saying is that other road users and locals on the route should be properly notified, proper announcements and signage would be welcome

I take your point.

I think the organisers were caught out by the number of cyclists that took part. Last years cycle had less than 50 taking part, this year there was around 300. Hopefully if it takes place again next year there will be better prior notification.

As for Lahinch I would say they were delighted to see all these cyclists coming to town. I know that quite a few stayed overnight for the cycle, so the local economy certainly would have benefitted from it.

• Advertisement

I take your point.

I think the organisers were caught out by the number of cyclists that took part. Last years cycle had less than 50 taking part, this year there was around 300. Hopefully if it takes place again next year there will be better prior notification.

As for Lahinch I would say they were delighted to see all these cyclists coming to town. I know that quite a few stayed overnight for the cycle, so the local economy certainly would have benefitted from it.

NO offence but imagin what 300 cyclists would do to blakes corner on a fine sunday. I'm sure such a fine day contributed to numbers too but will this be address this sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

If road wasn't closed then the only people who can stop traffic are school wardens ,some one driving cattle on the road,or a guard. Marshals can only direct traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Clareman wrote: »
    I noticed a thread on this in the cycling forum and thought some visitors here maybe interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77828579#post77828579
    Anyone know has the etape hibernia been rescheduled yet.

Advertisement