Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E Company 1st Battalion Dublin Brigade

Options
  • 28-03-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

This is an excerpt from a letter written by my grandfather to the minister for defence in 1946. He was applying for the service medal.

I was a member of E Company, 1st Battalion Dublin Brigade from March 1918 to July 1921 under Commandant Byrne and Captain Corry and Captain P Garland also our late member Commandant P Houlihan. I also served 12 months in Ballykinlar camp 1 and 2 under Commandant Henderson as a prisoner.

Does anyone know where I can find any information on the people named? Is Commandant Byrne Vinny Byrne? The information I've found on the net seems to say that Vinny Byrne was commandant of the 2nd Battalion. Was he overall commander of the Dublin Brigade?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I believe army archives are in Cathal Brugha barracks so get in touch with the Defence Forces Press Officer

Advertisement