Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to fix these

Options
  • 28-03-2012 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi im getting my old Talbot Express camper ready for the new test and i need to fix these (see images below) - I need to find out what there called and how to replace them please(there the burst black rubber thing like track rod ends but under the wheel/brake) Any help welcome:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ball joint for the steering. Judging by the look of them they'll be a peach to get out. I'm not sure how it's done as I'm the kinda person who would just tackle it as it comes.

Aidan_M_M will be along shortly to fill you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Buford, I looked up Talbot Express lower ball joint on ebay and I can see how they would go on/off seems like a fairly handy job to do ... Nice one :D

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Buford, I looked up Talbot Express lower ball joint on ebay and I can see how they would go on/off seems like a fairly handy job to do ... Nice one :D

Fairly handy yes, but you do have a lifetime of rust and corrosion to contend with - Don't forget that. Plenty of Penetrating oil left to soak overnight before you even start it I'd recommend

Thanks for the tip ... WD40 time soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

aye , bottom balljoint . the nut on the bottom is the toughest bit , the 4 bolts holding it to the hub are 18mm , not 19mm as I recall . breaking the lock of the taper is the toughest bit , how had you planned doing that? Also the brake disc shield is held at the bottom by 2 of the bolts , on some of these .

• Advertisement

Hi Aidan brut force and ignorance is what i have planned thb - I just bought a new draper socket set bot imperial and metric sockets on it lots of WD40 and a few bashed grazed knuckles i expect ... Any tips?

I prefer to use a special tool I bought years ago for breaking the taper... gave up on the BrFo+Ig when I stopped fixing tractors and farm machinery , years ago!

Lol ive a few years left to be even in the shadow of you m8

I am actually quit old ya know...

You could use something like the below, but I've often found that they're not great and resorted to the brute force method from time to time. Don't use them on new joints though, they'll mangle the rubbers.

31q24MMWyyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31ANiMAtbSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement

Well many hours, some grazed knuckles, lots of swearing, some beggin for mercy, and tons of tea - I got the job done. Changed the track rod ends while i was at it they were as bad too. Thanks lads for the helpful advice and tips, I'd be lost without yiz :D

Glad I could be of some help.

Advertisement