Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ME FIND MANHOLE COVER PLEASE?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Can anyone help me please?

I am looking for manhole covers and small round drainage covers with the name LEONARD COSTELLO OR L COSTELLO.

They were made by my grandfather at his plumbing and sanitary business at 29 Church (now Abbey) st Ennis until his death in 1927.

I remember as a child (80's and 90's) going there on holidays and seeing them all over the streets of Ennis and other towns around including Lahinch.

I would dearly love to have some or even one of these.If anyone knows where there are any,maybe on a side street somewhere or on your own private property,perhaps even in a scrap merchants yard,please let me know.

I would be delighted to pay for replacement and reward the finder!

LENC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lenc

thanks to all who read my post.fingers crossed still!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I don't know much about this sort of thing but try Market Hardwareand O'Dwiers out the kilrush road. I don't think the recycling centres will be any use as there is so much stuff.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I would suggest you contact the Local Authority in each place ie Water services staff in Ennis, Ennistymon Area Office, wherever you think they were used. I may be able to make some inquiries if you want to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

What material were they? Cast iron?

i'd imagine so finbarr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I asked a few old lads back west today and no luck. They said that manhole covers wouldn't be that common out the country as the services weren't there at that time.
    I'd say it will be difficult.
    But I'll keep trying because I would be intrested also.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

lenc wrote: »
    i'd imagine so finbarr.
    Just incase you didn't notice you have a bit of a lead here that replied to you today, i just noticed it so said I'd post it here in case.
    http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4039

many thanks for the note carazy!

and to you too finbarrk

thanks again everyone for looking at this thread.for your interest here is his tree [or pert of]maybe there are some on this thread who are related to someone on here?my father was robert m f costello on the left.

leonard married twice,first to kate[catherine] lally of the causeway,ennis and when she died in 1909 he remarried elizabeth moloney,my fathers mother.

TREE.jpg

'

i believe that leonard did a major refit of the plumbing and sanitary setup for our ladys hospital ennis.

are there other institutions in the clare area which were around at the time,other hospitals,poor houses,hotels etc which would have been around at the time,say 1870's to 1927?

many many thanks to everyone :D

• Advertisement

I am DELIGHTED to report that my posting on here has borne fruit and a manhole cover made by my grandfather and namesake Leonard Costello has been found for me on the street in Ennis!

VERY MANY THANKS TO THE PEOPLE INVOLVED!

Hard to believe anyone could get so excited about such a mundane item,but I am thrilled silly lol.

I am still hoping to find others as well.

More info anon........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

congratulations on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

In related news, a manhole cover has gone missing from a street in Ennis. Gardai have no leads to go on...

phill106 wrote: »
    In related news, a manhole cover has gone missing from a street in Ennis. Gardai have no leads to go on...

......a small hole was left in the street .Gardai are looking into it

Seriously though the item was removed officially for me.

congratulations on that

Thanks friend !

once again,many thanks to those who helped me in my quest!!

i have a manhole cover made by my grandfathher leonard costello some time between 1888 and 1927.

a strange thing to be so excited about i suppose,but its sort of a tangible bit of genealogy and a link to a man i never knew.

4j6brs.jpg

hopefully there are others out there for me to find.

Ps: it reads L.COSTELLO PLUMBER ENNIS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭squonk

Delighted you found your manhole cover! It seemed like such an odd request that I was sure you wouldn't get too far but I'm delighted to have been proved wrong on this occasion!

squonk wrote: »
    Delighted you found your manhole cover! It seemed like such an odd request that I was sure you wouldn't get too far but I'm delighted to have been proved wrong on this occasion!

thanks squonk !

tbh i thought myself that ship had sailed!

just goes to show,you never know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

lenc wrote: »
    ......a small hole was left in the street .Gardai are looking into it

Advertisement