Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter

Options
  • 28-03-2012 5:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

In case anyone is interested.

In Victoria (AUS) littering can be reported by anyone.

If you see Person X litter from their car you can report the incident with as much detail as you can Car type , colour , reg , etc what the person did etc.

When you submit the report you agree to give evidence if need be.

A fine is then issued to the owner of car X who either
    A Pays the ticket
    B Nominates the offender
    C Fights the charge in court

So in essence the EPA prosecutes the offenders and calls the reporting person as a witness. If the accused fights the charge.

Results for last year are as follows

Two thirds of reports led to someone admitting responsibility and paying a fine . Fast facts:
    • 5775 new reporters in 2011;
    • 17,982 reports were filed in 2011;
    • Of these, 13,901 resulted in fines being issued;
    • About 60 per cent of fines are paid, 20 per cent are disputed and withdrawn, and 20 per cent have gone to court;
    • Fines range from $244 for a lit cigarette and up to almost $5000 if the matter goes to court; and
    • Cigarette butt litter makes up 50 per cent of the litter stream

Basically it does reduce the amount of litter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

It also encourages squeeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

By that rational everyone who reports a crime or gives evidence for the state is "squealling".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Who does the burden of proof fall on? Surely it is one persons word against another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Kosseegan wrote: »
    It also encourages squeeling.

Yeah, gougers hate squealers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Beano wrote: »
    Who does the burden of proof fall on? Surely it is one persons word against another?
    Well once its reports and a ticket is issued 60% of people admit it and pay the fine. Then 20% fight it and it withdrawn presumably because there is no further evidence. 20% fight it and it goes to court presumably these are cases where the prosecutors are able to find some more evidence or the original complainant was with someone who was willing to back up the statement. If there is someone else in the car then they can give evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

People our local authority (L.A.) have brought to court for littering in the last year roughly have had a good chance of paying less upon conviction than the original €150 fixed penalty.

The L.A. have been advised that the court must take into consideration a persons ability to pay. The L.A. have secured "wins" at the destrict court but the fine imposed is now often less than the fixed penalty and costs are not been given in favour of the L.A. either in many cases.

If it is going to cost the L.A.'s everytime to go to court than they will quickly give up the practice altogether in my opinion.

Well once its reports and a ticket is issued 60% of people admit it and pay the fine. Then 20% fight it and it withdrawn presumably because there is no further evidence. 20% fight it and it goes to court presumably these are cases where the prosecutors are able to find some more evidence or the original complainant was with someone who was willing to back up the statement. If there is someone else in the car then they can give evidence.

presumably you just made those numbers up?

I dont see how two people in the same car as witnesses would be any stronger than one. Without any actual proof how can the offence be proven beyond a resonable doubt? Assuming the same standard of proof applies for these offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I dont see how two people in the same car as witnesses would be any stronger than one. Without any actual proof how can the offence be proven beyond a resonable doubt? Assuming the same standard of proof applies for these offences.

It doesn't. i can imagine the CSI Litter tv series though. Sounds fantastic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

numbers taken from the op
    • About 60 per cent of fines are paid, 20 per cent are disputed and withdrawn, and 20 per cent have gone to court;

MagicSean wrote: »
    It doesn't. i can imagine the CSI Litter tv series though. Sounds fantastic

So what standard of proof does apply?

• Advertisement

numbers taken from the op

[/LIST]

fair enough.

So what standard of proof does apply?

With the EPA as they want the person charged. They have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt. I assume they would gauge their witness before proceeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I hate the way smokers think their litter isn't litter. Pick the butts up and put them in the bin ya scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

MagicSean wrote: »
    Yeah, gougers hate squealers.
    as do cops

as do cops
    Are you a cop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Zambia wrote: »
    Are you a cop?
    no i just know how they close ranks when someone makes a valid complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

OT, but I remember a few years ago when the gardaí set up a special 'hotline' for motorists to ring and report bad/dangerous driving. Does anyone know how that worked out?

Another number was set up to report anti social behaviour involving drugs. The company taking the calls was based in the UK. Again, does anyone know how that worked out?

Edit: Ok, just did a google and the confidential drugs hotline has being closed down.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/confidential-drugs-hotline-to-shut-down-despite-success-93583.html

Zambia wrote: »
    With the EPA as they want the person charged. They have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt. I assume they would gauge their witness before proceeding.

That was in response to Magic Sean who seemed to be implying otherwise.

no i just know how they close ranks when someone makes a valid complaint

As in a complaint against a member thats not what we are taking about here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tyjack

A 'lady' in a car in front of me today threw her half smoked cigarette out her window. After we both stopped I went to her car and asked her if she knew that throwing a cigarette out a car window was littering. She said she that she did know, all this in front of her small girl in the front seat.
    So I said I would report her. I have sent an email to fingal county council with a picture of her car, blue VW passat registration <SNIP> Do not post personal information
    This happened on the Forrest Road in Swords, Co Dublin.
    I just don't understand some people....

• Advertisement
Advertisement