Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to pay an editor for a non-fiction book?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

wondering if anyone knows what the going rate is for an editor? Ive heard a range of prices and since I havent much to spend I am hoping to produce the best possible product without blowing the budget. Anyone recommend a good editor? Should they be in the same town so we can meet face to face or is it ok to work with an online / distant editor?

Ive nearly finished a non-fiction book which I plan to publish online and also sell from my website (under construction)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

When you say Editor, what do you mean? Are you looking for someone to check facts and/or structure your book, or someone to go through it looking for grammar/style/spelling problems?

If you want the second one, I know someone really good, she used to work for the big Irish publishers, but then had health problems and is just now getting back into work. I can recommend her personallly, and she's got glowing reviews from everyone she'd edited for.

She is quite happy to work on-line, and has worked for people in Texas without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

It really depends what you want. Some jobs can be outsourced via places like odesk or getacoder. Some people are even using fiverr. But if you are looking for something professional, you are always best paying top dollar for a local to do the work. Contact is much easier as well and could pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lovelydub

I know a good editor/proofreader. He's top class. Worked in newspapers/magazines.
    I imagine his rate is €50 per hour or you might agree a daily rate with him.
    It all depends on the length of the book, the subject matter and deadlines.

Advertisement