Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD campus accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

There's no real "best place", Belgrove is a little bit closer to everything, but not greatly and it's also the oldest res.
    Just look at the differences between them & pricing on UCD's website and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jmt09005

whuz-gt-lead, just wondering if you have made any decisions, or learned any more about accommodations? Im coming from the U.S in the fall, and am slightly older,and looking to room where ill be with like aged students. I have gotten quite a few different answers and if anything, im more confused:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cmccarthy0470

jmt09005 wrote: »
    whuz-gt-lead, just wondering if you have made any decisions, or learned any more about accommodations? Im coming from the U.S in the fall, and am slightly older,and looking to room where ill be with like aged students. I have gotten quite a few different answers and if anything, im more confused:confused:

hey, funny enough i am coming from the US too, but am doing a masters course, i know i asked yesterday what you were studying. i think i'll be at proby.

christina

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

The vet building would be closest to belgrove but not by much, it's kind of out of the way anyway.

jmt09005 International students are grouped together according to nationality from what I have seen, so you shouldn't feel isolated.

Roebuck and glenomina are the nicest apartments but you pay for it. They're about 1000 euro more for the year.

Belgrove would be the shabbiest but it's closest to campus. Another advantage is that to my knowledge, the apartments still have ovens.

Merville was done up recently so it's on a par with roebuck but you have to share a bathroom.

Roebuck/glen are nice but they don't have ovens, they do have hobs and a countertop oven can be bough fairly cheaply if you feel you need one. You also will have a personal shower/toilet.

All accommodation comes with a desk in your room and high speed internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

gradlife wrote: »
    All accommodation comes with a desk in your room and high speed internet.

But if it's anything like my internet has been in Glenomena this year, it will be absolutely awful because everyone's overloading the servers and you'll have to disconnect and reconnect every few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    But if it's anything like my internet has been in Glenomena this year, it will be absolutely awful because everyone's overloading the servers and you'll have to disconnect and reconnect every few minutes

Do you use the proper proxy settings or do you allow your computer to adjust automatically?

That's almost definitely a problem on your end, the network is fine.

gradlife wrote: »
    Do you use the proper proxy settings or do you allow your computer to adjust automatically?
    ._. wrote: »
    That's almost definitely a problem on your end, the network is fine.

I complained to UCD IT services and they simply told me that because of the large amount of people accessing the internet in our residences, they were hogging all the bandwidth and nothing could be done about it. It wasn't an issue confined to me- everyone in my apartment experienced the same thing, as did friends living in other houses nearby

I complained to UCD IT services and they simply told me that because of the large amount of people accessing the internet in our residences, they were hogging all the bandwidth and nothing could be done about it. It wasn't an issue confined to me- everyone in my apartment experienced the same thing, as did friends living in other houses nearby
    That's crazy. Even at peak times over in Merville the least I ever got was ~1.5MB/s. It is their problem though, they obviously need to upgrade some things in your building to handle the traffic.

._. wrote: »
    That's crazy. Even at peak times over in Merville the least I ever got was ~1.5MB/s. It is their problem though, they obviously need to upgrade some things in your building to handle the traffic.

I think it was the general Glenomena area- I also had the exact same problem in Muckross last year... I put it down to loads of people using skype and watching movies online- whenever my housemate would skype her family, my internet was literally gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I think it was the general Glenomena area- I also had the exact same problem in Muckross last year... I put it down to loads of people using skype and watching movies online- whenever my housemate would skype her family, my internet was literally gone

To be honest though, if traffic is that heavy all the time the network just needs to be upgraded massively to be able to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hyper_on_water

Hi- Just put myself on UCD accommodation waiting list, and I'm in the region of 1400 to get a place. Anyone know offhand what my chances of getting on campus accommodation are off hand? Stressing out about this, lol. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 whuz-gt-lead

Hi guys as far as i know glenomena is where international students live and alot of mature students. Thanks for all the help.
    Belgrove seems the closest to college and good social life dare aswell.
    Is it one of the nicer complex though?
    all help appreciated, thanks.

I'm number 1050ish I hve the same worry- is there any hope?
    Previously distance you live from college applied- is that still the case?

Hi- Just put myself on UCD accommodation waiting list, and I'm in the region of 1400 to get a place. Anyone know offhand what my chances of getting on campus accommodation are off hand? Stressing out about this, lol. Thanks. :)

You'll definitely get offered a place.. I know people with a way higher number than that who got one.

Are you guys putting yourself on a wait list for post grad spots? I'm a post grad doing a masters hoping to live in Proby and I was just wondering if you guys were putting yourself on a wait list for accomodation for those spots; I thought June 5th was registration date? Any help?

Thanks,

Christina

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hyper_on_water

You'll definitely get offered a place.. I know people with a way higher number than that who got one.[/Quote]

That's so reassuring to know- thank you! :) I'm really hoping to get campus for first year- everyone I've spoken to says its great craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Carzado

Are you guys putting yourself on a wait list for post grad spots? I'm a post grad doing a masters hoping to live in Proby and I was just wondering if you guys were putting yourself on a wait list for accomodation for those spots; I thought June 5th was registration date? Any help?

Thanks,

Christina

I'm doing a masters too and i got into proby. Did you get proby too?

Carzado wrote: »
    I'm doing a masters too and i got into proby. Did you get proby too?

Yes I did!! Where are you??

Yes I did!! Where are you??

That's good. I got apartment 1 proby house 2. Where are You?.

That's good. I got apartment 1 proby house 2. Where are You?.

I'm in apartment 5 Room 1, Proby Residence House 4

• Advertisement

I'm in apartment 5 Room 1, Proby Residence House 4

Ok that's good. Have yyou met anyone in your apartment? I just met someone on this forum that booked in my apartment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

Anyone in Glenomena House 9? :)

Ok that's good. Have yyou met anyone in your apartment? I just met someone on this forum that booked in my apartment:)

Hey Carzado...yes I have met people in my apartment! It's all so exciting :)! Where are you from?

Hey Carzado...yes I have met people in my apartment! It's all so exciting :)! Where are you from?

It is quite exciting... Meeting new people with different cultures. Its all part of why I chose to stay on campus. I'm proudly Nigerian.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BoomCha

Hi there !! :)

I'm a french girl studying Law next year in UCD.
    I think i'm allowed to chose my accomodation in UCD, but i'm a bit lost.
    Glenomena and Roebuck seem to be the 2 best residences, but i wonder which one to chose?
    Roebuck seem to be the closest to the law school isn't it ?
    What are the differences between Roebuck and Glenomena?
    What about Roebuck castle catered residence, i think it would be nice to be able to have my meals already cooked as i will be in a quite intensive course but is it as good as it seems to be ? What is the difference with the normal Roebuck residence for the rooms and appartments?

Sorry for all the questions !!
    Thank you so much in advance !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

BoomCha wrote: »
    Hi there !! :)

I'm a french girl studying Law next year in UCD.
    I think i'm allowed to chose my accomodation in UCD, but i'm a bit lost.
    Glenomena and Roebuck seem to be the 2 best residences, but i wonder which one to chose?
    Roebuck seem to be the closest to the law school isn't it ?
    What are the differences between Roebuck and Glenomena?
    What about Roebuck castle catered residence, i think it would be nice to be able to have my meals already cooked as i will be in a quite intensive course but is it as good as it seems to be ? What is the difference with the normal Roebuck residence for the rooms and appartments?

Sorry for all the questions !!
    Thank you so much in advance !!!

Hi there! :)

Glenomena and Roebuck Halls are very similiar, to be honest there isn't much difference between the two residences. Glenomena Residences are slightly older than Roebuck Halls. They are furnished a little more generously than Roebuck Halls. For example, Roebuck Halls have blinds in the kitchen/living area, whereas Glenomena has curtains. Roebuck Halls have soft seats in the living area, whereas Glenomena has couches. [All Glenomena houses follow this pattern except for House 9 and House 10. They were built later than the other Glenomena Houses, and are styled more like Roebuck Halls.] Both Glenomena and Roebuck Halls are uncatered, and you live with 5 other people in an apartment, and you generally get to know your flatmates quite well. I lived in Glenomena last year and I found it very nice. I'm living there again next year.

Glenomena Residence is located beside Merville Residence.
    Roebuck Halls and Roebuck Castle are located beside each other.
    If you are doing law, you might prefer to be in Roebuck Halls or Roebuck Castle, since both are located very close (less than a minute's walk) to the law building. Glenomena would be about a 5 minute walk (max) from the law building.

Roebuck Castle is the catered residence. Other than the fact that Roebuck Castle is catered and Roebuck Halls are uncatered, there are a number of differences between the two accomodations.
    In Roebuck Halls, you live with 5 other people. Your apartment is simply furnished, very similar to Glenomena.
    In Roebuck Castle you live with 11 other people. This sounds like a lot of people but the apartment is much bigger to cope with the extra number of residents. You don't get to know your flatmates as well as you would in other residences, simply because of larger numbers and different schedules. Roebuck Castle is much more luxuriously furnished than any other residence. In your bedroom, you have a lot more wardrobe space, a bigger window complete with heavy curtains, thicker carpet, and a very nice bathroom. To be honest it's more like a hotel room than a student accomodation. The kitchen/living area is designed very modernly with lots of press space. There's also a study area in the building (I'm not sure whether or not there's a specific room in individual flats).

I can't give you any advice about law because I'm not studying that, but I hope the information on accomodation helps you. Feel free to ask any more questions you have. It's a long year in your residence, and you want to make the right choice for you. :)

DANCE111 wrote: »

Glenomena and Roebuck Halls are very similiar, to be honest there isn't much difference between the two residences. Glenomena Residences are slightly older than Roebuck Halls. They are furnished a little more generously than Roebuck Halls. For example, Roebuck Halls have blinds in the kitchen/living area, whereas Glenomena has curtains. Roebuck Halls have soft seats in the living area, whereas Glenomena has couches. [All Glenomena houses follow this pattern except for House 9 and House 10. They were built later than the other Glenomena Houses, and are styled more like Roebuck Halls.] Both Glenomena and Roebuck Halls are uncatered, and you live with 5 other people in an apartment, and you generally get to know your flatmates quite well. I lived in Glenomena last year and I found it very nice. I'm living there again next year.

If you are doing law, you might prefer to be in Roebuck Halls or Roebuck Castle, since both are located very close (less than a minute's walk) to the law building. Glenomena would be about a 5 minute walk (max) from the law building.

Roebuck Castle is the catered residence. Other than the fact that Roebuck Castle is catered and Roebuck Halls are uncatered, there are a number of differences between the two accomodations.
    In Roebuck Halls, you live with 5 other people. Your apartment is simply furnished, very similar to Glenomena.
    In Roebuck Castle you live with 11 other people. This sounds like a lot of people but the apartment is much bigger to cope with the extra number of residents. You don't get to know your flatmates as well as you would in other residences, simply because of larger numbers and different schedules. Roebuck Castle is much more luxuriously furnished than any other residence. In your bedroom, you have a lot more wardrobe space, a bigger window complete with heavy curtains, thicker carpet, and a very nice bathroom. To be honest it's more like a hotel room than a student accomodation. The kitchen/living area is designed very modernly with lots of press space. There's also a study area in the building (I'm not sure whether or not there's a specific room in individual flats).

I can't give you any advice about law because I'm not studying that, but I hope the information on accomodation helps you. Feel free to ask any more questions you have. It's a long year in your residence, and you want to make the right choice for you. :)

You deserve a round of drinks on the french law student. You given her advice she wouldn't get anywhere else. That's so kind of you. Cheeerio.

DANCE111 wrote: »

You deserve a round of drinks on the french law student. You given her/him advice she/he wouldn't get anywhere else. That's so kind of you. Cheeerio.

Hehe Carzado !!

Thank you SO SO SO MUCH DANCE111 !!! You're awesome ! This is really helping me, I couldnt have hoped for a better reply !
    You really deserve a round of drinks indeed, anytime :D !!!

• Advertisement

Oh last question : It seems Roebuck Halls and Glenomena Students bedrooms are ensuite (have their own bathroom)
    But it is said that Roebuck Castle have shared Bathrooms on UCD website ? Is it right or the bedrooms are en-suite too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement