Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gait analysis - whats involved?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

maybe a stupid question but what's involved in a Gait analysis? Have just started a couch to 5k (in completely the wrong shoes) and I'm getting horrible shin splints - I'm off to get a decent pair and have been advised to get a gait analysis - but what's involved??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Here is an explanation.

http://www.fitfaqs.co.uk/questions/running-and-marathon-faqs/what-is-my-running-gait

Have a look at the sticky at the top http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102051 for more information and some recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Deego01

Gait analysis in our store takes 20-30 minutes. It involves a biomechanical checkout by one of the physios, a look at you doing various movements in the gym and then a run on the treadmill using Dartfish gait technology. This needs to be booked and it's a free service. Various shoes are tried and between us all a decision is made on the best shoe for you. Brehon Sports in Cashel, Tipp, so we're not too far away from limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Shins splints is such a broad term,its very common with people who are starting out or starting back after a long period on in-activity.
    things such as footwear,surface,weight and training too much can have an effect on the shins.

A good store will do history check eg how long you have been running,rescent injuries,current runners and past runners,check the wear on your current runners.
    A biomechanical assesment is then done to put you in the correct shoe.
    Be sure that thestore has a wideselection of brands as there is no such thing as one shoe or one brand works for everyone.

If the shin splints persists seek advice from chartered physio theraapist or a qualified sports massage and remedial therapist.

Advertisement