Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 Euro for Info on Stolen Car

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My car, a red Skoda Octavia, was stolen yesterday between 3.50 pm and 4.10 pm outside the Bank of Ireland in Dunleer, Co. Louth.

The car registration is 07 LH 2939.

I am offering 500 euro reward for the information that leads to the safe recovery of my car, and the identity of the person who stole it.

Sergeant Francisco Gallagher of Drogheda Garda Station is handling the case.

Many thanks.

Mary Matthews
    Dunleer
    Co. Louth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Sorry to hear that Mary...
    That's a very open place for someone to steal a car in broad daylight??!!
    Did you leave it open with the keys in the ignition or something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MatthewsMary

I had a car crash about 3 weeks ago. The car was repaired but since then the central locking doesn't work on the key. I had the key, but the door of the car was probably open. I found out that I made the lodgement at 13.57 yesterday, just before the Bank closed......there was a lot of activity in Dunleer, but not one person saw anything strange.

It's a complete sickner - you couldn't get a more visible location.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

That's mad! I park my car on that spot very often and you would never think anything untoward would happen in the quiet Main St. on Dunleer. Will have to up my guard in future...
    Are there no CCTV cameras on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Had a van stolen a few years ago and what annoyed me intensely at the time was the manner in which the gardai handled it. Not the individual Garda's fault but the way the whole thing is just kind of "ok you've reported it now. If we hear anything we'll be in touch. See ya"

My van was worth about €12,000. It's never been recovered.

Then about 3 weeks later I'm in Swords and a guy robs the local bookies armed with a screwdriver and gets about €500. WELL!!!!!!.... every cop in a 10 mile radius must have been on the scene within 5 minutes. There were squad cars coming from every direction. The guy only made it to the corner of the street before a couple of customers had caught him.

Car theft is treated far too much as a 'petty crime' in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

And so you turn one persons misfortune into your dislike for An Garda Siiochana... Mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I would imagine there is an immobilizer on a 07 Octavia - Sounds like your keys may have been duplicated Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

MugMugs wrote: »
    And so you turn one persons misfortune into your dislike for An Garda Siiochana... Mind boggling.
    Huh??

I said it annoys me how car theft is treated so lightly in this country compared to other crimes. How on earth did you conclude that from that I dislike the Gardaí? As it happens I have the utmost respect for the Gardaí. Doesn't mean I have to agree with all their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Scotty # wrote: »
    Huh??

I said it annoys me how car theft is treated so lightly in this country compared to other crimes. How on earth did you conclude that from that I dislike the Gardaí? As it happens I have the utmost respect for the Gardaí. Doesn't mean I have to agree with all their policies.

Whoaa folks! I think we all have our opinions on how certain crimes should be dealt with. I am the worst at dragging things off topic...

In this regard i have to say fair dues to the OP for publically stating her loss and looking for help, name etc. Many would be too embaressed to admit to have been a victim of crime!

I hope your car iis recovered!!!!

Mugs a few of us Garda bash; as they are tied up by the legislate - that doesnt mean we cant rant.. albeit parameds, gardai, firemen, coastguard are exempt from the rant hmmm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Keep it on topic folks please. Thanking you.

Hi Scotty, I know what you mean - that's exactly how I feel too. I reported the theft to the PSNI in Newry for good measure. They assigned a constable to the case, gave me his mobile phone number, and he contacted me by email to tell me what he had done vis a vis looking out for it. And that's not even in this jurisdiction! If the person who stole my car stole a car every day this week he'd have stolen at least 70K worth of cars, not to mention the time he has stolen.

Anyway, I hope the thief gets his come uppance, if not in this life, in the next.

All the best, Scotty
    - Mary
    Scotty # wrote: »
    Had a van stolen a few years ago and what annoyed me intensely at the time was the manner in which the gardai handled it. Not the individual Garda's fault but the way the whole thing is just kind of "ok you've reported it now. If we hear anything we'll be in touch. See ya"

My van was worth about €12,000. It's never been recovered.

Then about 3 weeks later I'm in Swords and a guy robs the local bookies armed with a screwdriver and gets about €500. WELL!!!!!!.... every cop in a 10 mile radius must have been on the scene within 5 minutes. There were squad cars coming from every direction. The guy only made it to the corner of the street before a couple of customers had caught him.

Car theft is treated far too much as a 'petty crime' in this country.

• Advertisement

It's a possibility. I was in a car crash at the beginning of the month (what a month for motor problems!). The car was in a garage for two weeks and when I got it back the central locking had gone "funny" - sometimes locking and not opening, and sometimes not locking, and sometimes just being a pain to turn in the lock. I had meant to deal with it, but I really rely on my car so put it on the long finger......
    john47832 wrote: »
    I would imagine there is an immobilizer on a 07 Octavia - Sounds like your keys may have been duplicated Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Should you not be discussing this so openly on the internet. One of your comments above could make your insurance null & void. It's probably worth editing as insurance companies have been known to read boards and deny claims based on information written here.

I'm not embarrassed - why should I be? I live in Dunleer and if it happened to me it could easily happen to someone else - maybe a person who has insulin or other important medicine in the car, or someone who really needs their transport for work. I was able to manage this week, thanks to my mother (a living saint) but other people might be very inconvenienced by a car theft. A reminder to people to stay alert is no harm from time to time. Also, what's the point in being coy - how was I going to explain the fact on was on Shank's Mare??? No, better to be upfront and say it as it is.

Again, I really appreciate all the support.

Mary
    Nesta99 wrote: »
    Whoaa folks! I think we all have our opinions on how certain crimes should be dealt with. I am the worst at dragging things off topic...

In this regard i have to say fair dues to the OP for publically stating her loss and looking for help, name etc. Many would be too embaressed to admit to have been a victim of crime!

I hope your car iis recovered!!!!

Mugs a few of us Garda bash; as they are tied up by the legislate - that doesnt mean we cant rant.. albeit parameds, gardai, firemen, coastguard are exempt from the rant hmmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mary, I agree with drunkmonkey. You should edit out admissions of a key problem that you failed to resolve - insurers could apportion an element of blame to you, indeed you should have locked the car for the insurance to be valid. Just some friendly advice.:)

Hi All, I received a phone call from the Gardai in Santry this morning. My car was recovered by them yesterday at St. Cronan's Avenue, Swords. Right now the car is in Gannon's Recovery Yard awaiting a forensic and technical examination. Apparently there isn't a scratch on the car, but all of the contents are gone, unfortunately, including the Skoda manual...weird reading material. As I had given up hope of getting it back safe I bought a Toyota Corolla yesterday (s/h) which I am going to keep. The big relief for me is that I do not lose my no claims bonus, something I really valued. Needless to say I am delighted to get my car back, even though others say they wouldn't want a car that was stolen to be recovered - I feel differently, I liked the Skoda and she hadn't ever let me down and we did plenty of long trips in her.

So, a happy ending. And for the Gardai too as they have "got the guy".

Many thanks for the countless texts and messages of good wishes and support. I learned a valuable lesson - if the locking device is giving gip, get it sorted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I do love a happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Hi All, I received a phone call from the Gardai in Santry this morning. My car was recovered by them yesterday at St. Cronan's Avenue, Swords. Right now the car is in Gannon's Recovery Yard awaiting a forensic and technical examination. Apparently there isn't a scratch on the car, but all of the contents are gone, unfortunately, including the Skoda manual...weird reading material. As I had given up hope of getting it back safe I bought a Toyota Corolla yesterday (s/h) which I am going to keep. The big relief for me is that I do not lose my no claims bonus, something I really valued. Needless to say I am delighted to get my car back, even though others say they wouldn't want a car that was stolen to be recovered - I feel differently, I liked the Skoda and she hadn't ever let me down and we did plenty of long trips in her.

So, a happy ending. And for the Gardai too as they have "got the guy".

Many thanks for the countless texts and messages of good wishes and support. I learned a valuable lesson - if the locking device is giving gip, get it sorted straight away.
    is he a local guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

whelan1 wrote: »
    is he a local guy?

Relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i live close by , sorry for asking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

whelan1 wrote: »
    is he a local guy?

Relevance?

All credit to discussions on a forum of a topic..... :confused: