Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a Yellowhammer on the way to work

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I was driving into work this morning on a busy enough country road and there, more or less plum in the middle of the road, was a Yellowhammer. It was just over the dividing white line on the other side of the road to the direction I was driving so when I went past it, my tyres were only about a foot away from it and it didn't move an inch so I knew then something was wrong with it. So I swung the car around and drove back towards the bird and pulled up just before it. It didn't attempt to move as the car approached and when I got out of the car I was able to pick it up in my hands without any protest.

It's wings were fine but I did notice that it had one eye half closed, the other eye was nice and alert, and there appeared to be a bit of dried blood beside it's breathing holes on it's beak. I first thought was that it might be exhausted as it was a hot morning but that wouldn't explain the dried blood - glancing blow by a car perhaps? I had to leave it in the car while I went into work, but on my morning break I brought out a cup of water to it and it did take a bit of water from me. Then at lunchtime I drove home as I have birdseed at home and was going to try it with that. It didn't take the seed but did take more water and the signs looked good when it flew out of my hand and around my living room. I didn't want to keep it for long as I guessed at this time of year it was busy feeding chicks or egg-sitting etc.

So I brought it back to the spot that I found it and it flew off over the hedgerow and onwards. Fingers crossed it will be ok, but whatever happens now, it will have a better fighting chance than it did when I met it this morning. And timing is everything because for some reason this morning I was on that stretch of road 5 mins earlier than usual. Apologies for rambling, just thought I'd share my story with you. Beautiful bird too, pleasure to see it up close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Sounds like it got a smack from a passing car. I've had quite a few birds recover from glancing blows. If it flew off after a few hours, it will probably be OK. Good on you for taking care of it.

Advertisement