Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open water swimming

Options
  • 27-03-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Just looking at the beautiful weather out there and wondering when is it ok to get into the water for some open water training, only started triathlon training last august so unsure how early I can get back in after the winter,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CunningStunts

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Just looking at the beautiful weather out there and wondering when is it ok to get into the water for some open water training, only started triathlon training last august so unsure how early I can get back in after the winter,

I was in over the weekend in Cork and it wasn't too bad. There was a relatively good crowd for the time of year (c.10) and a few were even swimming without wetsuit so you should be fine.

Apparently the water was close to 12 degrees according to one of the swimmers down there.

That said, I did find it cold but after the initial shock (I was also quite hungover!) it wasn't too bad.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

One of our club members went in yesterday. Said is was cold on the hands and head but once she got into it it was 'gorgeous'. Pressure is on the rest of us to follow suit now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

My advice if you are not stuck in a dreary office looking out the window is grab your togs or wetsuit or whatever you usually swim in go down to sea. Throw on your swimming attire and if you dont have a heart condition jump right in what is the worst that can happen you get a little cold.

You might not be able to do your full 5km swim coz your too cold but sure maybe 1 or 2 just to warm up.

Good tip on swimming hat I always find that is the coldest part your head gets frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Went into Lough Lene yesterday evening myself. Freezing to start with as it's a spring lake and normally fairly cold anyway. Hands & feet got used to it after a while but put on 2 swim hats as I find my forehead gets frozen (think ice-cream headache). Enjoyed it though! Didn't stay in longer than 20min.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Sea is about 10degres celcius.
    See http://www.dlharbour.ie/weather/irish_sea_buoys.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

Normally I wait until late May or early June. Have tried in April before and found it freezing. On the other end of the season, there is no problem swimming away into October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Yeah its a bit chilly now at the beginning of winter, last swin I did was 24degs....:p brrr

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My last ow swim was st Stephens day :) but that doesn't really count. I was all set to get in on Monday next with the club but then this cold snap hit and I don't think I can face it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will be hitting OW in 15 days time albeit from sunnier shores:)

Advertisement