Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehogs

Options
  • 27-03-2012 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Spotted a hedgehog last night and closer examination revealed it was a regular from previous years - he has a distinctive old injury to his snout. This is the 4th Summer he has been visiting our garden. How long do Irish hedgehogs live on average? This guy seems to be doing well - he has survived hibernation through the 2 very severe Winters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Watched a vicious fight between 2 hedgehogs last night. They were really tearing into eachother. I had to intervene when they got tangled up in the cable to my moth trap. One of them scurried off dragging a hind leg and the other appeared to have a cut on its snout. I've seen scraps before, but usually one rolls up and the other bashes it around a bit before wandering off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Spotted a hedgehog last night and closer examination revealed it was a regular from previous years - he has a distinctive old injury to his snout. This is the 4th Summer he has been visiting our garden. How long do Irish hedgehogs live on average? This guy seems to be doing well - he has survived hibernation through the 2 very severe Winters.

Is he a big lad?? - my parents have a fella thats a fair lump and enjoys the cat food which he scoffs right in front of the 2 upset kitties:D

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Is he a big lad?? - my parents have a fella thats a fair lump and enjoys the cat food which he scoffs right in front of the 2 upset kitties:D

He is now! He was a small chap when he first appeared but he's a real heavyweight now.

Looks like we might have some baby hedgehogs later in the year!:D Randy little creatures were at it all night in front of my trail camera:

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=12636

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=12637

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

^^^ looks like a prickly proposition :)

• Advertisement

Found our female hedgehog strangled in a piece of old fishing net this morning:mad: It looks like a neighbour had been trying to stop dogs getting into her garden by using netting and wire mesh to plug holes in the hedge. I have removed everything hazardous to animals but it is too late for that hedgehog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

That's terrible. Not a nice death for that poor hedgehog:(

Traonach wrote: »
    That's terrible. Not a nice death for that poor hedgehog:(

People just don't realize the harm they can do to wildlife. I've found seabirds and seals caught up in old fishing nets but never expected to find a hedgehog in my own garden killed by it:(

Only consolation is that our 4 year old male is still going strong. Hopefully a new female will take over the vacant territory.

Advertisement