Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomorrow i buy my last pack of Benson and Hedges

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

So i have smoked pretty much since i was 15 and lately i have noticed im getting out of shape and when i do have a smoke when im in a good mood/feeling well i get this sick feeling afterwards like im being drained of all life and energy.

Noticed i only have one fag left in the box so tomorrow i will buy my last box and go cold turkey.

It's the kind of thing that no third party (even ex smokers) can get you to do, it's a decision we all have to come to ourselves for our own reasons, here are mine.

1. I have started a new job and i really like it (Salesman in a Furniture and Carpet depot in Galway) it's not rocket science but the lads im working for are really good fellas and i really feel im making a valuable contribution while enjoying myself and i will need all the energy i can get for the more physical aspects of the job.
    2. Im going to use the money i save on the extra tax/fuel costs of upgrading my poor old 1.4 Skoda Octavia for a Mark 5 Golf GTi later on in the summer.
    3. My family unfortunately has a bad history on my dad's side with cancer and he lost his da when he was in his early 50's (my dad's current age and he is a very active man and full of life and i really regret not getting to meet him) also watching my granny battle with cancer almost 10 years ago now was a terrible thing to see.

So thats it really, i will post here every day with how im getting on for those that are interested. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    So thats it really, i will post here every day with how im getting on for those that are interested. :)

Congrats on making the decision to stop smoking, and good luck to you, Jimbob 83!

Like you, I had a number of reasons to stop, and was getting almost no pleasure from them, so decided to really go for it. I had my last fag almost 3 months ago now, and I'm so happy about it.

I find the posts on this forum most encouraging, and post myself a little bit - mostly to get involved and feel invested.

So please do post every day about how you're doing - it'll help you, the recently smokeless like me, and others who are thinking of stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 longford1

well how are ya getting on, did you manage to stay off the cigs. i am off the cigs about 2mths now with the patches, gonna have to wean myself of the patches next, still cant be as bad as smoking 40 fags a day,

i feel really good since i gave them up, when i was smoking had no appetite a headache all the time and no energy,

now i walk 3 or 4 mile everyday full of energy and headaches are gone
    appetite good,

so best of luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

So how are you getting on, Jimbob 83?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Unfortunately this might be Jimbobs first attempt, and he may be finding it much harder than he thought. That's the nature of addiction. So he may not have been able to stop this time, and is a little embarrassed now. I wouldn't be if I was him as it's very hard to stop smoking as nicotine is very addictive.

I think Allen Carr's Easy Way is the only way to stop. It explains the nature of addiction, and it worked for me. I think it's the best method.

If you did fail this time Jimbob I'd recommend buying Allen Carrs book (from the Book Depository, free delivery). give it a read and it should be much easier next time.

The reason I wrote this message is that often people say 'I'm giving up' and then fail and are embarrassed 'coz they were so sure they'd be able to stop. But everyone finds it very hard to stop as tobacco is so addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Allen Carr's Easy Way to give up smoking is the best book I ever read. After 25 years of smoking I found it much easier to give up after reading the book. As JoeBallatine said it explains the nature of addiction and really lets you see how controlling smoking is! It may not work for everyone but it certainly worked for me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I gave up cigs before for 3 years and it's going ok, slipped 1 or 2 times at work and because dog isn't well but 3-4 cigs over the course of a week and a half is alot better than what i was doing. I learnt before that trick is not to kick yourself for not being perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

So far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

So far so good

welldone jimbob stick at it butty it gets alot easier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I found it very easy to give them up and I always give out to people who use patches etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I find it very easy to patronise, pontificate and look down from my marvelous ivory tower.

bensweeney is very virtuous. And great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I find it very easy to patronise, pontificate and look down from my marvelous ivory tower.

bensweeney is very virtuous. And great craic.

Listen here you, I think all this patches etc are a bad idea and are another form of revenue for the industry! will power should be the only thing you need to get off them. Think of your family looking after when you get Cancer and the hardship they will go through if you need any extra motivation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

:D

Like I say ben, you're great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cart

Ben Ben Ben. A forum where people come on to get help to kick the habit, and you Waffle on about revenue for the industry. So what if someone needs patches gum or e-cig if they work in the long run so be it. Not everyone as great as you pal!!

Advertisement