Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Tua retires

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

http://www.boxingscene.com/david-tua-retires-taking-look-back-his-career--51000

It's a pity what happened to him. He lost to a great champion in Lewis, but he KO'd 2 former Heavyweight title holders in 1 round. (Moorer and Ruiz.) It didn't help that his management screwed him off and he didn't fight much after 2001-2002.

IMO he would have been up there in any era. Unreal power, his left hook is ATG IMO, had as much power as a Tyson or Frazier. Very good chin as well. Devastating fighter.

Appearently he is broke, he has been looking for places to stay with his family and has a $2 million New Zealand dollars tax bill to foot. I hope he will be alright though. He has his own gym in Auckland so if it is nice you can meet the man if you were there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Great left hook alright, was a good fighter but not great in my opinion.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Agree with Paul. Very good fighter, but too one-dimensional.
    Great left hook, no right hand worth talking about. Great chin. Great stamina. No imagination or cuteness.

I hope the stories of his poverty are not true. Always seemed a nice guy. I remember reading how his father used to invite grown men to take him on when he was only a teenager and much smaller. He took some bad beatings and suffered while learning. Roy Jones had a similar upbringing. Always hate hearing about those type of fathers living their dreams through their sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,185 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tua to me was always a fighter you wanted more from. He seemd stuck in one gear, happy in that gear, and rarely willling to really change the pace, the variety, the fierceness. Lazy almost!

There was always talk of him and Toney going at it at HW (both at "peak"). Toney schools him IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shortarse

One of the best left hooks ever

shortarse wrote: »
    One of the best left hooks ever

That's all he'll be remembered for unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,185 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And as heavy as it was, it was also telegraphed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

cowzerp wrote: »
    That's all he'll be remembered for unfortunately.

What about KO'ing two former Heavyweight champions, John Ruiz and Michael Moorer, both in the 1st round?

What about KO'ing two former Heavyweight champions, John Ruiz and Michael Moorer, both in the 1st round?

Yeah he did, but I'd forgot that-I'm not even joking saying that.

Both where quite poor anyway for world champion level

Advertisement