Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS drive - itunes on multiple devices

Options
  • 26-03-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Am in the theoretical phase of perhaps buying a NAS drive to have at home, onto which I'll have all my music / movies. I'm thinking of a RAID mirrored 1 TB solution.

I know some NAS drive enclosurers advertise built-in Itunes servers, but...is the following possible.

I'm at home, have all my music on this NAS drive, using my IPhone i go to the music app and there's all my music, just as if it was on the device itself. The same with my IPad and the same with my wife's iphone. Presumably this isn't possible...but we;'ll see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I`m also about to Buy a NAS (this week:-)). I`d assume once the itunes server on the NAS has Home sharing then you`ll be able to access your music as you would if you set up home sharing on your network through a laptop or desktop.

failing that, surely there are apps available that will be able to access the music on the NAS - I know android devices do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Most nas devices have an itunes server based on the firefly media streamer.

With PC's , Mac's , this "used" to work , in that if you had itunes on any of these computers you could see the itunes server on the nas under the shared section of itunes.

It doesnt work anymore , it hasnt since itunes 10 was released. Firefly have a patch to fix this if you are running the server on a self built unit or otherwise have access to the software , for nas units , this is not usually the case.

The itunes server on nas units has never worked with ipads , iphones , itouch , with these units , you must sync music to them , they cannot access itune servers.

There are some workarounds , buzz player for example , will access your nas and play any music type on there. The interface sucks though , its just a straight text list.

If your nas has a squeezbox server , then an app called ipeng can be bought that will work with this , with ipeng , an in app purchase will let you play back content from the nas locally on your apple device. The interface is excellent , supports playlists , album art and so on , but its not free , it costs about 12 euro altogether.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I bought the synology DS411J last week and just like andy stated above couldn`t get the itunes server to work, however synology have free app`s available on IOS and android with their audio station software so it makes streaming music locally quite simple (still trying to work out how to access the NAS from the net, but that is down to my router and ISP)

it`s possible that with whatever NAS the OP goes for, the manufacturer may provide a similar solution

Advertisement