Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for Lee & Macklin?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Who is next of Andy Lee & Mathew Macklin?
    Talks of title fights have seemed to go quiet for Lee, will Macklin get another title opportunity or will he need to fight a contender first?
    What about them fighting each other in an eliminator? Who do you think would win?
    I'd love to see this happen and the winner fight Pirog. It would be a very interesting fight as both have contrasting styles, if Macklin could draw Lee into a brawl it would be a non contest, however if Lee could keep Macklin at the end of his Jab he would win. It would be great for Irish Boxing. Perfect timing would be after the Olympics when we bring home a few golds!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

NikNak8 wrote: »
    Who is next of Andy Lee & Mathew Macklin?
    Talks of title fights have seemed to go quiet for Lee, will Macklin get another title opportunity or will he need to fight a contender first?
    What about them fighting each other in an eliminator? Who do you think would win?
    I'd love to see this happen and the winner fight Pirog. It would be a very interesting fight as both have contrasting styles, if Macklin could draw Lee into a brawl it would be a non contest, however if Lee could keep Macklin at the end of his Jab he would win. It would be great for Irish Boxing. Perfect timing would be after the Olympics when we bring home a few golds!!

A few golds well maybe 2 Joe Ward Katie Taylor perhaps who else do you think??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Personally I think Lee deserves a title shot rather than mixing it with Macklin.

Lee has a world title in him, has power in either hand, a very smart boxer and is a big Middleweight.

His limitations are his stamina and fighting on the inside. But he does have respectable power which stops guys rushing him to close the distance.

I'd like to see Lee fight one of the world champs, and i'd give him a chance of beating any of them.

He beats Sturm, Geale and gives Chavez (outside of Mexico) his toughest fight.

He also gives Martinez a tough fight, superior reach, just as powerful and isn't the come forward fighter that Martinez likes.

I'm not saying he is the next Hopkins, but theres a reason Lee hasn't got a title fight yet, and its because the champs don't see it as their easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

maybe Lee is in the same boat as Peter Quillin who is undefeated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was talking to one of the fella's who works with Macklin the day after the Martinez fight and he reckoned the fight they wanted next was Chavez Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

yabadabado wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the fella's who works with Macklin the day after the Martinez fight and he reckoned the fight they wanted next was Chavez Jr.

Jeez, Macklin's a lucky lad. Three fights and all for world belts? What is Lee at? He seems to be in the game for years, and he's done nothing! Funny thing is, I would take him to beat Macklin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

walshb wrote: »
    Jeez, Macklin's a lucky lad. Three fights and all for world belts? What is Lee at? He seems to be in the game for years, and he's done nothing! Funny thing is, I would take him to beat Macklin.

agreed, Lee is technically alot better.

Both have the same promoter in Lou Di Bella don't they?

My guess is that Macklin is seen as the ideal challenger to the champs, recognised as being tough and credible, but very beatable.

Lee is a trickier proposition for all of the champs. Wouldn't say Di Bella wants to pair Lee and Martinez either, doesn't want to dent Maravilla's momentum with the possible defeat Lee could hand him nor does he want to run the risk of seeing Lee lose his regained momentum.

Lee has definately got talent, potentially the best of all the British and Irish middleweights by a wide margin and has a world title in him if he can sort of the stamina issues.
    As I said, his inside fighting is suspect but he has the power to keep these guys at range.
    Its a big 12-18 months for Andy, he can go either way.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    My guess is that Macklin is seen as the ideal challenger to the champs, recognised as being tough and credible, but very beatable.
    A very good guess. One I was guessing too. Macklin draws a crowd, and is not all that much a risk. Lee poses more stylistic and power issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Has Lee been held back by not having a proper promoter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Lee can be very boring and I think that's a big part of it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Lee can be very boring and I think that's a big part of it.

I know what you are saying; he can be boring in the way he fights at times. That cumbersome and stiff approach, but also, he makes for excitement too becuause he is vulnerable, has power, and likes to trade bombs. He's been in some good scraps where real leathre has been thrown and landed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement