Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any maturies in Computer Science out there??

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get a place this year but my head is wrecked over not knowing when I will get accepted or not.

Can anyone let me know what their experience was? If you went for an interview or if you were told you were accepted on the course before the July offers.

Any comments appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Can't help with the application stuff but I did the CS course as a regular undergrad kid and the mature students in our class integrated really well.

I think sometimes in other courses this isn't always the case but CS tends to be a tight knit group. In short, socially you're in for a good time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i did it this year,

got in on my LC points though,

it was a very positive experience overall, the only thing i found tough as i know one of the other mature students found also if you have any life outside of college you will find it hard but not impossible.

as for making friends and dealing with being among 18-19 year olds, in our case the mature students for the most part integrated very well, as in the mature students didn't just group together, i would say personally i got along with some of the younger students better then i did with some other mature students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi there, I went in as a mature student in 2003 (I was 23 at the time). I didn't have an interview but it was a very unpopular course at the time. It's a great course so I hope you get it. I did very well in it (nominated as science grad of the year) even though I had a very poor LC so it's a great course for anyone who is motivated. Got a job before I left college and am now in software in Cork (I'm a home bird :D) so best of luck OP!!!! PM me if you have any questions.

Also to answer your main question, I found out when the normal CAO offers went out (in august, is it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i did it this year,

got in on my LC points though,

it was a very positive experience overall, the only thing i found tough as i know one of the other mature students found also if you have any life outside of college you will find it hard but not impossible.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but second year will probably be worse. I'm not a mature student but spent a lot of time in the labs till late. I'm sure that will be tough with other things going on.
    as for making friends and dealing with being among 18-19 year olds, in our case the mature students for the most part integrated very well, as in the mature students didn't just group together, i would say personally i got along with some of the younger students better then i did with some other mature students.

I'm in 3rd year now and we have 3/4(Some are just barely mature students so I'm not sure), They all get on well with everyone. As x43r0 said, a tight nit bunch, probably due to the labs/assignments, most people usually are only able to do these in college so you'll usually end up in there after lectures and will get chatting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aspire1

Mature student here - finishing up this year. For my entry I applied directly to the college and had a phone interview as I lived so far away. I think they were more sounding out my attitude and to see how motivated I was, more a friendly chat. I think it was only a couple of weeks after that I got a letter saying I'd being accepted, I actually applied after the closing date for CAO but applications from mature students were still open as they could be done directly to the college. Not sure if this is still the same setup though.

Never had any problem fitting in and mixing with the rest of my younger comrades or made to feel like an outsider in anyway (at least not to my face :) )

Worse part is adjusting to sitting in class/lectures after being away from education for too many years to mention but all in all staff were extremely helpful and approachable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement