Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Phoenix Park deer, never leave

Options
  • 26-03-2012 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Why do Phoenix Park deer, never leave the environs on the park, lots of gates, available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Fallow deer are quite sedantry, they tend not to wander away from their established territory. Because the Phoenix Pk herd is culled regularly there is also no pressure to expand their range due to crowding and over grazing. Plus all those gates lead out into suburban environment which wouldn't seem attractive to the deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Are the culled deer sold for venison?

Would seem like a waste if they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Always the zoo.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Iirc they are left there and provide food for the other animals ie foxes and badgers

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

k123456 wrote: »
    Why do Phoenix Park deer, never leave the environs on the park, lots of gates, available

As mentioned by Half-cocked the herd is maintained as a size which means they do not have to leave to find new pastures. But they do wander out on occasion particularly in summer when fruits in the surrounding gardens are ripe or in bad weather like the snow in 2011 they wandered out looking for forage.

Yes they are.
    Iirc they are left there and provide food for the other animals ie foxes and badgers

For the same reason that farmers cannot just leave dead animals lying around, deer which die from accidents or natural causes and are located and buried. Culled animals where the origin of the meat can be traced are checked by the vet and sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

they actually do wander out. I have seen them in knockmaroon and castleknock college a few times. they seem to always go back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

They do indeed wander out every once in while but never in big numbers for the reasons stated above. Back in the day when I used to drive a taxi around Dublin you could see a few every once in a while happily grazing a Castleknock garden in the very early mornings.

Try to think like a deer, why would you leave a huge area full of tasty grass, young leaves, cover and hardly any treaths and go wandering in an area with plenty of fences, fast moving cars, uncontrolled dogs and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

F.R. wrote: »

For the same reason that farmers cannot just leave dead animals lying around, deer which die from accidents or natural causes and are located and buried. Culled animals where the origin of the meat can be traced are checked by the vet and sold.

Wasn't the EU going to review that directive following the decline of Buzzards in Europe. Did they ever?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my brother was a passenger in a car outside the park which was hit by a deer (not the other way round - the deer jumped over a wall at the side of the road and landed on the side of the car) on the road beside farmleigh or mountsackville.
    i vaguely remember hearing that if you hit a park deer in your car while you ar ein the park, the OPW can bill you for the damage, but if you hit a deer while outside the park, you can bill them. i'm not sure if there's any truth in that, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

my brother was a passenger in a car outside the park which was hit by a deer (not the other way round - the deer jumped over a wall at the side of the road and landed on the side of the car) on the road beside farmleigh or mountsackville.
    i vaguely remember hearing that if you hit a park deer in your car while you ar ein the park, the OPW can bill you for the damage, but if you hit a deer while outside the park, you can bill them. i'm not sure if there's any truth in that, though.

That's pure myth. The OPW does not own these deer. Under the law they're wild animals. For road traffic purposes that means you have no liability towards anyone if you kill or injure a wild animal neither does anyone have any responsibility towards you.

As for the ownership of wild animals; the only way to appropriate a wild animal is by lawful trapping and hunting, in season, but I don't think the OPW will give you permission to fire a .22-250 and up in the Phoenix Park. To the best of my knowledge it's NPWS who looks after herd management on there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement