Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a shopping cart ex WP to Joomla?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys

Currently I have a cart with 100 + products which in the next month will increase to over 500 and I hope will keep increasing. I was advised that maybe I should think about moving from Word Press to Joomla with a Virtuemart cart.

I'm wondering what kind of price would I be looking at to get this done, ball part is fine just so I don't get too much of a shock when the quote comes back :eek: I know it will be 4 figure just wondering how bad lol ;)

All replies appreciated thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

TenantSOS wrote: »
    Hey guys

Currently I have a cart with 100 + products which in the next month will increase to over 500 and I hope will keep increasing. I was advised that maybe I should think about moving from Word Press to Joomla with a Virtuemart cart.

I'm wondering what kind of price would I be looking at to get this done, ball part is fine just so I don't get too much of a shock when the quote comes back :eek: I know it will be 4 figure just wondering how bad lol ;)

All replies appreciated thanks :D

Wondering why you are going to Virtuemart shopping cart. Virtuemart is an ecommerce plugin for a good CMS. A bit like the ecommerce plugin you had on WP.

If you are stocking 500 products and so I guess you are making some sales and want to be able to do all the extra stuff like cross sells multiple currency etc. Look at some pure ecommerce products out there like zencart, oscommerce, presta shop open cart. etc.

If you are moving from one selling platform to another your urls are all going to change so make sure to get a copy of these before implementation so you can do 303 redirects from the old urls to the new ones so as to keep your google ranking intact.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TenantSOS

willows wrote: »
    Wondering why you are going to Virtuemart shopping cart. Virtuemart is an ecommerce plugin for a good CMS. A bit like the ecommerce plugin you had on WP.

If you are stocking 500 products and so I guess you are making some sales and want to be able to do all the extra stuff like cross sells multiple currency etc. Look at some pure ecommerce products out there like zencart, oscommerce, presta shop open cart. etc.

If you are moving from one selling platform to another your urls are all going to change so make sure to get a copy of these before implementation so you can do 303 redirects from the old urls to the new ones so as to keep your google ranking intact.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply it won't be me doing this but I will pass this one as umm I kinda don't understand it lol ... I use Realex which is why he suggested Virtuemart .. It is only the start of the 2nd year in business which started very slow but now I am beginning to restructure the site and get more wholesale ideas in place namely some drop shipping alongside the current suppliers I have.

Would you advise maybe going a different route?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

TenantSOS wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply it won't be me doing this but I will pass this one as umm I kinda don't understand it lol ... I use Realex which is why he suggested Virtuemart .. It is only the start of the 2nd year in business which started very slow but now I am beginning to restructure the site and get more wholesale ideas in place namely some drop shipping alongside the current suppliers I have.

Would you advise maybe going a different route?

If you are looking to sell wholesale and retail have a look at a product called loadedcommerce formerly creloaded. This allows for wholesale and retail on the same site.

That said so does virtuemart so I guess you've had this conversation with your developer and for the budget etc I guess VM will get you there. However you may look a t a rebuild in a few years if you need to link VM with an accounts package to make bookeeping stock control and price updates easier.

Try think of how streamlined you need this site to be for yourself to manage in the future. Then make sure your product you use can do this, or be amended easily to do so.

Make sure the VM is installed on the latest version of joomla as a standalone package so if you need to move hosters you can do so in the future.

Best of luck.

Advertisement