Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Web Cam?

Options
  • 26-03-2012 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I'm not a very technological person and I was wondering if anyone could help with my predicament!

I am wondering if it is possible to have an external webcam in a remote place (no electricity or power sources nearby) and then have a live feed from it to a home PC or website?
    (if there were several in different locations would it make any difference?)

Would it have to work off broadband or is it possible to have a satellite feed?

I really would appreciate any advice or if you need anymore information please let me know?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 coc0

Hi

Can anyone recommend the best external webcam that would withstand harsh weather conditions?

Brand or type?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You can get "wireless webcams" alright, but they'd be functional only within a few meters.

You obviously want to monitor "remote places with no power sources nearby". That would imply battery power. You could use a netbook with a 1.3 megapixel webcam streaming the signal via 3G. But this rules out outdoor use (wich I gather from you other thread is a MUST) and even the best netbooks would only get 4-5 hrs out of a battery charge if the webcam is on and a 3G USB modem is connected and active.

In order to get constant power, you'll need to come up with a wind or solar enrgy solution.

Maybe you should be a little bit more specific.

I just remembered this, maybe you want to contact MOBOTIX.

I suppose it's about as harsh as it gets up there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

coc0 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm not a very technological person and I was wondering if anyone could help with my predicament!

I am wondering if it is possible to have an external webcam in a remote place (no electricity or power sources nearby) and then have a live feed from it to a home PC or website?
    (if there were several in different locations would it make any difference?)

Would it have to work off broadband or is it possible to have a satellite feed?

I really would appreciate any advice or if you need anymore information please let me know?

Thank you in advance

into voyeurism?

http://www.equicom.ie/wireless-cctv-kits-67-c.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hi

Can anyone recommend the best external webcam that would withstand harsh weather conditions?

Brand or type?

Thank you

http://www.equicom.ie/wireless-cctv-kits-67-c.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You'll need two things - power and an internet connection.
    As said the power will have to come from a battery and the internet connection can come from a camera with a prepaid sim card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi

Brand or type?

Thank you

One thread is enough, threads merged! :)

Depends on how remote we're talking... here is a wireless system, extending the range up to a mile.

Advertisement