Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem Internet Connection Mac

Options
  • 25-03-2012 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, I have always had my UPC modem (Scientific Atlanta-non wireless) hooked directly into the back of my Mac. Last week I hooked a linksys wireless router into the equation and everything went fine for a couple of days. Then the router started to cut out now and again (which meant I had to reset it). I thought, screw it, it was second hand so I will just go back to plugging the modem in directly. But I could not get a connection. Of course, UPC are saying this is to do with the computer and wont help me at all. It is really frustrating. I can hook my modem into my router and get a connection on my mac but when I take out the middle man (the linksys), I can't. All the lights are on and everything should work but no browser or any other application can get online. It is pissing me off. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could just go back to last week when I was content (barring finding Doc Brown and a DeLorean). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bobbymac64 wrote: »
    Hey, I have always had my UPC modem (Scientific Atlanta-non wireless) hooked directly into the back of my Mac. Last week I hooked a linksys wireless router into the equation and everything went fine for a couple of days. Then the router started to cut out now and again (which meant I had to reset it). I thought, screw it, it was second hand so I will just go back to plugging the modem in directly. But I could not get a connection. Of course, UPC are saying this is to do with the computer and wont help me at all. It is really frustrating. I can hook my modem into my router and get a connection on my mac but when I take out the middle man (the linksys), I can't. All the lights are on and everything should work but no browser or any other application can get online. It is pissing me off. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could just go back to last week when I was content (barring finding Doc Brown and a DeLorean). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :confused:

It does sound like a issue to do with the computer tbh (the not recognising the modem connection) however the fact the router was also cutting out regularly sounds to me like the modem may be faulty. I'm assuming you tried unplugging the modem for 10 seconds and trying again?
    Moving this to the Mac forum where you should get better response

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could just go back to last week when I was content (barring finding Doc Brown and a DeLorean). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :confused:

If you use Time-Machine on your mac you can do just that by restoring your mac to an old point back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbymac64

The router was always faulty. Thanks, I will move it to the Mac forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The router was always faulty. Thanks, I will move it to the Mac forum.
    I moved it already ;) :pac:

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You might need to turn off Airport/WiFi in the menu bar.

If you go to System Preferences > Network, is Ethernet showing as green/connected?

Yes, it sure is. Another factor in my frustration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And WiFi/Airport is off?

Also, click on the gear button at the bottom of the Network preference panel and select Set Service Order. Drag Ethernet to the top of the list.

Airport is off and the Ethernet is at the top of the list. It's just weird that I can get the connection using the modem via the router but not directly from the modem. Its like the router has changed something on the computer that does not change back when I plug the modem in directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What ip address do you get when you plug into the modem and router respectively?

When the modem is plugged in directly, the ip address is 109.255.66.45 When the connection goes through the router, it is 192.168.1.100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

That all looks good from a DHCP point of view

Are you connecting the UPC modem to the Internet port on the router? If you log into the router can you check the Internet connection status there? You should tell it to use DHCP if it's not already

What model is the router? I have a Linksys myself and the same modem.

It is not the router that I am having trouble with. I can connect to the internet via my router but for some reason cannot connect when i go directly from my modem to my computer. I need to do this because my router is ****ty. It is just weird that I can go from modem to router to computer and get online. And I can't go modem to computer. It is baffling. It's a linksys g 2.4ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Defo sounds like the port is gone

Can you try doing a Ping Test to even see if you are getting out

Did you try re-booting the router?

Did you change any settings like DNS or Default gateways?

Could you post an ip config to show the settings? (If config on mac)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

It really can't be the port. The router is not the problem in this situation. The only way I can get a connection is through the linksys router. So connection is coming into my house, into my modem, over to my router and then into my computer. This is working. But because my router is old and dodgy, I want to sway back over to the more dependable way of just plugging the modem directly into the computer. If the modem works via a router, it should work directly. This makes me think it is a configuration thing. Ping tests work with the modem router set-up but not modem alone because it is not getting a connection. The attachments are screen shots of my Network options in my System Preferences while the modem is hooked directly into the computer.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Presume it's the modem is holding the MAC address (Media Access Control address, nothing to do with apple!) of whatever it's connected to in it's 'head' so it's still looking for the MAC address of the router even though it's no longer connected. Did you power of or just unplug and connect?
    I'd try and reset the modem (maybe there's a reset button), plug it out for 10 minutes maybe and then start it up and connect to the computer.

That is interesting. It certainly would explain why the modem is only working with the router. But I have plugged it out a few times and hit the reset button. Maybe I will do it all again and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

It really can't be the port. The router is not the problem in this situation. The only way I can get a connection is through the linksys router. So connection is coming into my house, into my modem, over to my router and then into my computer. This is working. But because my router is old and dodgy, I want to sway back over to the more dependable way of just plugging the modem directly into the computer. If the modem works via a router, it should work directly. This makes me think it is a configuration thing. Ping tests work with the modem router set-up but not modem alone because it is not getting a connection. The attachments are screen shots of my Network options in my System Preferences while the modem is hooked directly into the computer.

was talking about the ethernet port on your computer

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Don't think it can be the computer ethernet port because my router is plugged into my computer and the internet is working just fine. For some reason my computer and modem will not talk directly to each. They have had some type of falling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

If you can connect from the Mac via router to modem I suspect there is nothing wrong hardware wise with your setup. From your screenshots it appears that you are connecting to the UPC DNS servers. Can you connect to the modem configuration interface via your browser? Exactly what model is it? Is the firmware on the modem up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cork Wifi

Sounds to me like your mac is not releasing the ip range of your router
    So when you connect back to the modem is on a different range. Log into the modem by typing 192.168.100.1 and see how its configured, If you like you can email me the cm mac address and I'll have someone check it out for you. Good Luck

Advertisement