Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile Broadband Disaster

Options
  • 25-03-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

eMobile offer broadband for €20.32 per month. But the product is NOT supported!!

The deal offers a download speed of up to 14.4 mbps and a data allowance of 10 Gb per month. In January 2012 my speed dropped to 0.12 mbps (ie. about 6% of the norm and <1% of the advertised max). Also the dashboard stopped displaying my remaining data balance. I reported both matters to eMobile and the nightmare began.

(1) A technical support agent advised that this is a Customer Care issue and promised to patch me through. However, he patched me through to the sister company (Meteor) who advised it was an eMobile problem and they hung up. This happened several times.

(2) When I did finally reach eMobile Customer Care proper, I was placed on hold. The call then dropped and the agent neglected to phone me back. Again this happened several times.

(3) Eventually I was advised that there are no coverage issues in my area when there obviously were. My mobile phone was also connected to eMobile at the time and its own web connection speed dropped from a typical 6 or 7 mbps down to 0.56 mbps.

(4) I phoned eMobile for 6 days in a row (23 thru 28 January) to ask for an update. I also wrote in by registered post on Wednesday 25th January. No-one replied to my letter and no-one advised when either problem would be fixed. Staff also refused to advise me of my data balance. I told one particular agent that this is not an acceptable level of customer care and all he kept saying was “understood” over and over. The service got worse. On Saturday 28 January I demanded that the matter be escalated and was promised that a supervisor would phone me back within 48 hours. I still await that phone call after 8 weeks!!!

(5) In February, after 13 consecutive months of using 8 or 9 Gb of data per month, eMobile sent me a bill stating that I’d used 61 Gb in the very billing month that the coverage dropped! So the charge rose from €20.32 to over a grand!! Naturally I cancelled my DDI awaiting my 30th January phone call from a supervisor. eMobile kept parrying ComReg by falsely claiming that they’d contacted me regarding the issue when they hadn’t. This makes a mockery of state regulation.

(6) On Wednesday 21st March my internet connection was cut on the grounds that my account was in arrears. I’ve since connected using a competitor.

Corresponding with one’s ISP should occupy about 1% of one’s personal time & energy. eMobile wasted HOURS of my valuable time. Not supporting the product is also in breach of Article 3.1 of my contract. It was a 100% nightmare customer service experience from start to finish!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To whom and at what address did you contact them by registered post??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ronan D18

Hi Sponge Bob. I used the address below...

E-Mobile Customer Support
    1 Heuston South Quarter
    St. John’s Road
    Dublin 8

OK , that is the address given in here.

https://secure.emobile.ie/assets/static/pdfs/emobile_code_of_conduct.pdf

Did you address it to the Director??
    5. Head of Customer Care
    In the event that a customer is still not satisfied after escalation they will be advised to write to the Director of Customer Management, eMobile, 1 Heuston South Quarter, St John's Road, Dublin 8.
    Letters will be acknowledged within three working days of receipt. When escalating a complaint in writing to the Director of Customer Management, customers are advised to state the background and the nature of the complaint and the redress sought. The Director of Customer Management will endeavour to address the complaint within a reasonable period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Ronan D18 wrote: »
    eMobile offer broadband for €20.32 per month. But the product is NOT supported!!

The deal offers a download speed of up to 14.4 mbps and a data allowance of 10 Gb per month. In January 2012 my speed dropped to 0.12 mbps (ie. about 6% of the norm and <1% of the advertised max). Also the dashboard stopped displaying my remaining data balance. I reported both matters to eMobile and the nightmare began.

(1) A technical support agent advised that this is a Customer Care issue and promised to patch me through. However, he patched me through to the sister company (Meteor) who advised it was an eMobile problem and they hung up. This happened several times.

(2) When I did finally reach eMobile Customer Care proper, I was placed on hold. The call then dropped and the agent neglected to phone me back. Again this happened several times.

(3) Eventually I was advised that there are no coverage issues in my area when there obviously were. My mobile phone was also connected to eMobile at the time and its own web connection speed dropped from a typical 6 or 7 mbps down to 0.56 mbps.

(4) I phoned eMobile for 6 days in a row (23 thru 28 January) to ask for an update. I also wrote in by registered post on Wednesday 25th January. No-one replied to my letter and no-one advised when either problem would be fixed. Staff also refused to advise me of my data balance. I told one particular agent that this is not an acceptable level of customer care and all he kept saying was “understood” over and over. The service got worse. On Saturday 28 January I demanded that the matter be escalated and was promised that a supervisor would phone me back within 48 hours. I still await that phone call after 8 weeks!!!

(5) In February, after 13 consecutive months of using 8 or 9 Gb of data per month, eMobile sent me a bill stating that I’d used 61 Gb in the very billing month that the coverage dropped! So the charge rose from €20.32 to over a grand!! Naturally I cancelled my DDI awaiting my 30th January phone call from a supervisor. eMobile kept parrying ComReg by falsely claiming that they’d contacted me regarding the issue when they hadn’t. This makes a mockery of state regulation.

(6) On Wednesday 21st March my internet connection was cut on the grounds that my account was in arrears. I’ve since connected using a competitor.

Corresponding with one’s ISP should occupy about 1% of one’s personal time & energy. eMobile wasted HOURS of my valuable time. Not supporting the product is also in breach of Article 3.1 of my contract. It was a 100% nightmare customer service experience from start to finish!

Hi Ronan D18
    apologies that this should have taken so much of your time and not be resolved.. Can you PM me your tel number and pin and I can chase this for you. I can work with the information you have posted here. If any other details or information you may have please PM this also.
    I will update you on case and hopefully get answer to this quickly.
    Tony

PM sent to Tony at Eircom with SIM & PIN details as requested.

As eMobile refused to advise me of my data balance during the 15 January - 14 February billing period, I'm accepting no responsibility for any alleged additional data usage during that time window.

I want a closing statement confirming that the outstanding balance is €0.00 and the account is now closed. I also expect financial compensation for all the distress caused and the ridiculous amount of time wasted. I'll leave the precise amount to eMobile's discretion but a sum in 3-figures would be appropriate in view of the level of trauma suffered.

• Advertisement

PM sent to Tony at Eircom with SIM & PIN details as requested.

As eMobile refused to advise me of my data balance during the 15 January - 14 February billing period, I'm accepting no responsibility for any alleged additional data usage during that time window.

I want a closing statement confirming that the outstanding balance is €0.00 and the account is now closed. I also expect financial compensation for all the distress caused and the ridiculous amount of time wasted. I'll leave the precise amount to eMobile's discretion but a sum in 3-figures would be appropriate in view of the level of trauma suffered.

Hi Ronan D18,

I am getting this chased up for you at the moment.
    I will revert back to you once I get a response.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

To save you some time...

I first requested my data balance on 23 January. Your colleagues will inform you that they emailed me some stats in an Excel spreadsheet on 29 February. Data usage stats that are 5-and-a-half weeks out of date are of absolutely no value to me whatsoever! How am I supposed to monitor my usage? No. Data stats need to be;
    (1) On Demand
    (2) In Real Time
    (3) Accurate as of a few minutes ago

I'm moving house soon, so I need this entire saga put well & truly to bed by Easter at the very latest. I won't be engaging eMobile at my new address so an early resolution is in the ISP's own interests too.

Hi Tony,

To save you some time...

I first requested my data balance on 23 January. Your colleagues will inform you that they emailed me some stats in an Excel spreadsheet on 29 February. Data usage stats that are 5-and-a-half weeks out of date are of absolutely no value to me whatsoever! How am I supposed to monitor my usage? No. Data stats need to be;
    (1) On Demand
    (2) In Real Time

I'm moving house soon, so I need this entire saga put well & truly to bed by Easter at the very latest. I won't be engaging eMobile at my new address so an early resolution is in the ISP's own interests too.

Hi Ronan D18,

Im sorry to hear that you were not advised of the accurate balance on your account. Can you confirm the email address that you got this information sent to you was from. I am currently getting this investigated with my colleagues in regard to the charges incurred. Once I receive any information I will be in contact with you.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Hi Tony,

To save you some time...

(1) On Demand
    (2) In Real Time

The majority of telco's out there don't supply usage data in real time though.

You could install a data monitor on the device in question which would be real time.

Something like 3G Watchdog might do you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog&hl=en

PM sent to Tony in Eircom with the relevant detail.

Neither John, I forgot to mention that I subscribed to the service on the understanding that it would provide real-time or near real-time data usage stats. It did so reliably for the first year.

I'm happy for usage stats to be an hour or two out of date, but not five-and-a-half weeks!

• Advertisement

PM from Tony asserting that I'm still liable for alleged data usage in the 23 days the ISP refused to advise of my stats (23 January thru 14 February).

Breathtaking audacity!!!

Tony I've been round the houses re this dispute too many times with too many members of staff. Before eMobile starts advertising a service and inviting subscriptions, a Customer Service facility needs to be put in place. To quote Article 3.1 of my contract...

"We will use all reasonable efforts once you have received your eMobile SIM...to make Services available to you at all times".

Failing to provide Customer Service for the last 23 days of that billing period is a flagrant breach of the above Article. It's not that no "reasonable" effort was made. No effort AT ALL was made! That supervisor still hasn't phoned me after nearly 9 weeks. How dare eMobile treat its customers in this fashion? eMobile itself suffered a technical glitch on Monday 23rd. The fault didn't originate with me. I'm not prepared to compensate eMobile or any ISP a single cent for its own internal technical glitches.

I demand a final bill stating a €0.00 balance plus financial compensation for all the distress caused. I'm prepared to settle for nothing less.

Received a phone call from eMobile about an hour ago. It was the first time the service provider bothered their asses to phone me since I reported the two technical issues 67 days ago on 23rd January. :mad:

But it wasn't the supervisor due to phone me on 30th January. It wasn't Customer Support either, or even the technical team. It was CREDIT CONTROL chasing the bill!! Outrageous. If I was the regulator I'd withdraw eMobile's licence to operate.

I advised the lady that a bill can't be pursued while it's in dispute. The product wasn't supported for 23 days in a row (23 Jan - 14 Feb) so any charges for alleged data usage during that period are null & void.

I take it you have the phone records where you called periodically in an attempt to get your stats. Do you have screenshots of the online usage counter not working.

My phone was connected to eMobile at the time, so their own records will show how often I phoned up. Re the dashboard failing to show my data usage, the Customer Service agent couldn't see it appearing at their end either. She admitted this on 23rd January, leaving the ISP with no excuse.

A letter arrived today threatening to refer the matter to a debt collection agency. I would strongly advise anyone's who's considering eMobile for their web connection to avoid them like the plague! It was Solomon who said you can't scoop coals into your lap without your clothes being burned.

eMobile are an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. They don't support the products they advertise and show nothing but contempt for their clients.

Don't touch them with a barge pole :mad:

Letter sent to eMobile's "Director of Customer Management", as recommended by Sponge Bob.

Thanks Sponge!

My phone was connected to eMobile at the time, so their own records will show how often I phoned up. Re the dashboard failing to show my data usage, the Customer Service agent couldn't see it appearing at their end either. She admitted this on 23rd January, leaving the ISP with no excuse.

A letter arrived today threatening to refer the matter to a debt collection agency. I would strongly advise anyone's who's considering eMobile for their web connection to avoid them like the plague! It was Solomon who said you can't scoop coals into your lap without your clothes being burned.

eMobile are an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. They don't support the products they advertise and show nothing but contempt for their clients.

Don't touch them with a barge pole :mad:
    Hi Ronan D18
    I understand your frustration in this matter, and a letter from a debt collection agency adds to this. My response to you was to advise of the current status of this case. I have escalated this and i will be in contact as to clarify exactly the position here. I should have this information for you on Monday.
    Tony

Illuminating piece of advice from the Citizens' Information Centre in Stillorgan :)

"...ComReg has the power to investigate consumer complaints and it must ensure that the consumer has access to an in-expensive out of court dispute resolution procedure..."

So unless this dispute is resolved to my satisfaction by COB on Monday 2 April, I'll contact ComReg again and formally request that they investigate my complaint against the offending ISP.

Aside from breaching Article 3.1 of my contract, eMobile is also in breach of its own 10 point Code of Practice on several points...

1. Purpose
    "a Code of Practice that is designed to foster open and fair dealings with respect to the handling of complaints" (by 'fair & open' they mean threatening to engage a debt collection agency).

5.1 Lodging a Complaint
    "eMobile will respond to complaints using the most appropriate and timely method" (by 'timely' they mean still no acknowledgement 72 days after the complaint is formally lodged).

5.2.1 Stages of the Complaint
    "2. Acknowledgement of the complaint"
    "4. Notification of resolution or internal escalation"
    (72 days later, no acknowledgement and no notification of resolution)

5.2.2 Categories of complaint
    "EMobile will endeavour to notify the customer periodically of the status of the issue until a resolution is achieved"
    (Two technical issues reported on 23rd January; still no word on either after 74 days)

5.4 Escalation
    "In the event that a customer is still not satisfied after escalation they will be advised to write to the Director of Customer Manangement...Letters will be acknowledged within three working days of receipt"
    (Posted letter on Friday 30th March; still no acknowledgement five working days later on Friday 6 April)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TS KERR

E Mobile Dreadful Service and After Sales Service
    I bought a i phone 4 from e mobile apple a year ago. I had nothing but problems with the phone and the signal. I live in Clontarf and get a very on off service, particularly the internet. Frequently the phone cuts off in mid sentence. Various phone calls needless to say had taken place about the poor service, my inability to get any internet service etc. and the phone itself .... all unsatisfactory and time wasting.
    In August 2011 the phone went on fire in my bedroom. Smoke came out of it. I brought it to e mobile in Henry street and sent it to england for repair. Initially Apple claimed that I had damaged the phone. I had not. I told them this and that my house with my children in it could have been burned alive if I had not noticed the smoke coming out of the phone. They initially claimed that the problem was mine but eventually after leaving me with a replacement samsung phone with the cover hanging off replaced my apple i phone and gave me a reduction on my bills.
    Now in May 2012 the apple e mobile phone came up with a no service signal. Off i go again into Henry Street. Again they say that the problem is with the phone. They say that they will send it off to Apple again. They again give me an inferior samsung phone and say that the fault is again mine ....!! The replacement phone they give me shows a no service in Kinsealy....there are witnesses to all of these no service issues in Dublin, Wicklow and Mayo and my friends and business associates complain that my phone is a disaster!!! I bring the replacement phone back into Henry Street and low and behold the service comes back on!!! well i keep it because i need a phone for my business which is in publishing!!
    Cut a long story short I get a phone call from e mobile Henry Street saying that Apple say that I must have dropped the phone and that the cost of the repair will be 180 euros. I tell them that i did not drop the phone that there is no evidence whatsoever on the outside of the phone to indicate that it was dropped, that there was a cover on the phone, and that this is mere fobbing off by apple tech department as was the case back in August 2011 when the phone went on fire.
    I say that i want out of the 2 year contract as i want a phone where i get a signal and proper after sales service. I say that they have breached contract by being unable to provide signal on two occassions. E mobile tell me that it will cost 900 euros.
    I cannot afford to waste any more time as it has cost me a lot in terms of business and so

Hi
    I joined this service a year ago. It is hopeless. There is hardly a signal and i regularly get cut off in mid sentence. I live in the centre of Dublin in Clontarf. There is also no signal in Wicklow and in Mayo!!
    The phone I got an apple iphone as part of the deal of joining the service went on fire in the bedroom of my house ie: smoke was coming out of it. After many many complaints i got a new phone off apple. But again no signal. When i complained they claimed that i must have dropped it! There were no marks anywhere on the phone and it had a cover! How is that ? I asked. Response from e mobile. Don't know!! What a load of chancers! Now i am desperate to get out of the contract with them.
    They are a disaster!!!

• Advertisement

I have had similar experiences trying to get thro to emobile as their agents frequently just cut you off or leave you on hold for ages. It is a nightmare trying to get after sales service from them. I would advise that no one should use their service and they cannot even provide a signal in Dublin. All my friends ask me why my phone regularly gets cut off. I tell them that it is the signal. They are amazed. I own magazines in Dublin and I have received a lot of emails and letters complaining of the service - signal. Soon I think i will publish them all. It is a terrible terrible service!!!

• Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

TS KERR wrote: »
    I have had similar experiences trying to get thro to emobile as their agents frequently just cut you off or leave you on hold for ages. It is a nightmare trying to get after sales service from them. I would advise that no one should use their service and they cannot even provide a signal in Dublin. All my friends ask me why my phone regularly gets cut off. I tell them that it is the signal. They are amazed. I own magazines in Dublin and I have received a lot of emails and letters complaining of the service - signal. Soon I think i will publish them all. It is a terrible terrible service!!!

Hi TS KERR

I am sorry to hear the comments on contacting support. If you PM me your tel number, the IMEI and name of store I can chase this for you. Can you advise me if the communication advising of damage to your phone was supplied directly from Apple or relayed through our store?
    Thanks
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I am about to join eMobile but I'm worried now since the service is bad in Dublin..

I'm guessing the phone that went on fire was new and unused from the box?

Apples going on fire are not new. Normally people open them up with a video camera running and shame Apple into delivering a new iphone...or up she goes on Youtube.

I know someone who had the courier around next day with a spanking new iphone and a lovely letter of apology .......once he sent them the vid.

PeteK, completely avoid eMobile. I've never encountered their like in all my days!

When your local eMobile transmitter goes down you phone them up, naturally. I was actually told that they won't respond to a FIRST complaint regarding a signal drop. Their engineers will only inspect the offending transmitter if a SECOND customer phones up. Hello? It was like something from The Now Show! So I checked my contract to see if there's any provision for same. After searching the contract with a large magnifying glass I couldn't find a single clause allowing for the above arrangement. Instead, Article 3.1 reads...

"We will use all reasonable efforts once you have received your eMobile SIM...to make Services available to you at all times".

So when eMobile's masts are fully operational and providing a consistent signal, they'll bill you €16.52 per month and give you 2 mbps download. When they're own mast fails, they will leave you with NO signal for 6 consecutive days and a severely unstable signal for the other 25. Oh and I nearly forgot to mention, with the eMobile software that records your data usage also malfunctioning they'll bill you €865 for alleged data usage during the days you had no signal! This would be great material for a sitcom if people's livelihoods didn't depend on it.

If your solicitor drafted two-thirds of your will, you wouldn't pay him two-thirds of his fees. If an ISP leaves you stranded with no internet for 6 days-in-a-row and an unstable signal for 25, allows calls to drop without phoning back, then patches your next call to their sister company (Meteor) who just hang up, don't negotiate a part-payment of your bill. Simply end the relationship by cancelling your DDI and let them sweat it out.

Still no movement from eMobile after nearly 6 months. So I've just lodged a new complaint with them dated 3rd July, the entire text of which is as follows...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please note my new postal address above.

Last winter I contacted eMobile regarding two technical problems affecting both of the subscriptions associated with the above account. On one occasion that the local signal dropped, I contacted Customer Care and was advised that eMobile won’t investigate any such coverage issue if it’s only reported by one single customer. I examined in detail the contract pertaining to my router service and found no provision whatsoever for any such arrangement. Consequently, I hold eMobile in breach of Article 3.1 of said contract.

On 23 January an agent advised me that the software employed to record the data usage on my router subscription was malfunctioning and that I would not be charged for any data traffic until the fault was resolved. There followed 6 consecutive calendar days (23–28 January) during which I enjoyed virtually no internet signal on either device. During my 6 days offline, I made several attempts daily to obtain updates on a resolution. More than once I was patched through to your sister company Meteor, who refused to assist and hung up. On the occasions I did manage to speak to an eMobile agent I was typically placed on hold and the call dropped with no return phone call. Finally, on Saturday 28 January I was advised that the local signal issue was being escalated and a supervisor would contact me within 48 hours. It’s July and I’ve yet to receive said call.

There’s no provision in either contract for 6 consecutive days offline. What’s more the events of late January constitute a unilateral withdrawal of Product Support for both of the services to which I had subscribed. You have also ignored subsequent correspondence relating to this dispute, for example the attached email dated 10th April. The sudden withdrawing of Product Support and the manner in which my complaint was handled together amount to a breach of Articles 1, 5.1, 5.2.1, 5.2.2 and 5.4 of your own internal Code of Practice. I’m also firmly of the view that you have breached your statutory obligations under Part 4 Section 5 of Meteor’s Licensing Agreement. The Commission for Communications Regulation may take a different view.

On 2 February my account went into surplus as I paid in full for the 31 days running 15 January–14 February, a billing period in which there were 6 consecutive days of downtime and during which Product Support was unilaterally withdrawn without notice. That money has never been refunded and therefore there is an outstanding refund owed to me in the amount of €65.04 including VAT. That amount does not include compensation due for the potential loss of business during the offending downtime and for the personal distress caused. Nor does it include any reimbursement of incidental outlays such as postage. Naturally, I accept no liability whatsoever for any alleged usage of either service beyond the date on which Product Support was unilaterally withdrawn – namely Monday 23 January.

I dispute any and all bills dated February 2012 and subsequently. Furthermore I’m prepared to testify under oath in an Irish court of law that everything to which I’ve attested in this letter is a true and accurate account of what occurred.

Regards,

• Company Representative Posts: 424 Verified rep eMobile: Tony

Still no movement from eMobile after nearly 6 months. So I've just lodged a new complaint with them dated 3rd July, the entire text of which is as follows...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please note my new postal address above.

Last winter I contacted eMobile regarding two technical problems affecting both of the subscriptions associated with the above account. On one occasion that the local signal dropped, I contacted Customer Care and was advised that eMobile won’t investigate any such coverage issue if it’s only reported by one single customer. I examined in detail the contract pertaining to my router service and found no provision whatsoever for any such arrangement. Consequently, I hold eMobile in breach of Article 3.1 of said contract.

On 23 January an agent advised me that the software employed to record the data usage on my router subscription was malfunctioning and that I would not be charged for any data traffic until the fault was resolved. There followed 6 consecutive calendar days (23–28 January) during which I enjoyed virtually no internet signal on either device. During my 6 days offline, I made several attempts daily to obtain updates on a resolution. More than once I was patched through to your sister company Meteor, who refused to assist and hung up. On the occasions I did manage to speak to an eMobile agent I was typically placed on hold and the call dropped with no return phone call. Finally, on Saturday 28 January I was advised that the local signal issue was being escalated and a supervisor would contact me within 48 hours. It’s July and I’ve yet to receive said call.

There’s no provision in either contract for 6 consecutive days offline. What’s more the events of late January constitute a unilateral withdrawal of Product Support for both of the services to which I had subscribed. You have also ignored subsequent correspondence relating to this dispute, for example the attached email dated 10th April. The sudden withdrawing of Product Support and the manner in which my complaint was handled together amount to a breach of Articles 1, 5.1, 5.2.1, 5.2.2 and 5.4 of your own internal Code of Practice. I’m also firmly of the view that you have breached your statutory obligations under Part 4 Section 5 of Meteor’s Licensing Agreement. The Commission for Communications Regulation may take a different view.

On 2 February my account went into surplus as I paid in full for the 31 days running 15 January–14 February, a billing period in which there were 6 consecutive days of downtime and during which Product Support was unilaterally withdrawn without notice. That money has never been refunded and therefore there is an outstanding refund owed to me in the amount of €65.04 including VAT. That amount does not include compensation due for the potential loss of business during the offending downtime and for the personal distress caused. Nor does it include any reimbursement of incidental outlays such as postage. Naturally, I accept no liability whatsoever for any alleged usage of either service beyond the date on which Product Support was unilaterally withdrawn – namely Monday 23 January.

I dispute any and all bills dated February 2012 and subsequently. Furthermore I’m prepared to testify under oath in an Irish court of law that everything to which I’ve attested in this letter is a true and accurate account of what occurred.

Regards,

Hi Ronan D18,

As you have previously been advised the charges you incurred are correct and will remain on your account. Provided you make the full payment your cancellation fees will be removed from your account.

Tony

It is an offence to aggressively pursue charges for a service not rendered.

I've reported this matter to the Minister for Communications. Below is the wording of the letter...

"Dear Minister Rabbitte,

Last winter I held two contracts with eMobile for the provision of internet services at my (then) home in Cherrywood. One contract provided for internet access via a wireless router and one via a smartphone. In late January, unilaterally and without notice the ISP withdrew product support for both of the services to which I had subscribed. By so doing they breached the terms of our contracts, their own internal Code of Practice and also the terms of their licensing agreement with the Commission for Communications Regulation.

ComReg have advised me to seek legal advice regarding the contractual side of the dispute. However, for some reason that defies all logic, they are firmly of the view that the ISP has complied fully with its licensing obligations. They even advised me that “customer service is not regulated in this State”. Part 4 Section 5.1 of the licensing agreement suggests otherwise. As things stand an ISP is being allowed to continue operating in the market while clearly breaching the terms of its licence and its own internal Code of Practice. I urgently wish to bring this to your attention as Minister. Please investigate on my behalf and either enforce the terms of their license or arrange for it to be withdrawn.

I enclose the following supporting documentation;

· My 3 July letter to eMobile, which I sent by registered post (<<TTN redacted>>) and which has yet to be acknowledged.

· Excerpt from the ISP’s Licensing Agreement with ComReg.

· The ISP’s own internal Code of Practice, with the commitments being breached highlighted in orange.

· A 10th April email to the ISP, which they continue to ignore.

Kind regards,
    Ronan.

• Advertisement

Spoke to someone in the Ministers Office the other day.

This entire dispute hinges on a phone call I placed with eMobile on Monday 23rd January. During that phone call, eMobile advised that their software wasn't recording my data usage correctly and therefore I would not suffer charges beyond my 10GB allowance. On 10 April I emailed the offending ISP asking for the name of the Customer Service agent who'd taken my 23rd January call. Six months later the gentleman in question continues to ignore that email.

So this week I placed a request under Section 4 of The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. My understanding is that, under the legislation, I'm legally entitled to a recording of the relevant phone call and any refusal by eMobile to furnish same can be referred to the Data Protection Commissioner.

Advertisement