Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kestrel (was - Is this a Peregrine Falcon?)

Options
  • 25-03-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Photographed this guy on Howth around two years ago.

I reckon it's a Peregrine Falcon but was hoping someone could confirm.

It flew by very fast and I only managed to get one picture.

On another is there a way to get the attachment to just apear in the post instead of as a link (other than hosting it elsewhere)?

Thanks,

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Kestrel I would go with, great shot.

To embed your image without hosting it elsewhere -

After you upload the attachment, you will see the filename appear as a clickable link.

Click it, and copy the URL from the window that pops up.

Then you back to the message window, click the little yellow icon with the mountains, and paste the URL into the little dialogue box that opens.

You should end up with the line below, but with no spaces so the image will display.

[IMG][/img]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/444501/197589.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lovely looking Kestrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Kestrel

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Male Kestrel!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Male Kestrel!

Thanks a lot everyone for the ID. I knew it was a kestrel all along, just seeing if I could fool anyone into thinking it was a peregrine.

Dave, why a male? Interesting to know the tell tale signs.

Thanks again,

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Hi splendid101, Male has a grey head and a grey tail with a black band at the bottom which is clearly visible in your photo. Female has a mottled brown tail. There were Peregrines nesting on Irelands Eye so don't be too surprised if you do see one. Dave

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

whyulittle wrote: »
    Kestrel I would go with, great shot.

To embed your image without hosting it elsewhere -

After you upload the attachment, you will see the filename appear as a clickable link.

Click it, and copy the URL from the window that pops up.

Then you back to the message window, click the little yellow icon with the mountains, and paste the URL into the little dialogue box that opens.

You should end up with the line below, but with no spaces so the image will display.

[IMG][/img]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/444501/197589.jpg
    Many thanks for that useful tip Whyulittle.
    Have you got any advice on how to make the images smaller, not lower res, just so they appear smaller in a post?
    Thanks.

You would probably be better to use a host like Pix.ie or Flickr for that. You can upload your full size version, and then just select a smaller size (no longer than 800px on the longest side ;)) to post to Boards.

Pix.ie give you a code that you can copy and paste straight to Boards. The code lets the viewer click the image on Boards and then go to your Pix account so they can view the full size image if they want.

Otherwise you can use something simple like Irfan View or GIMP to resize the image first, and then upload that to Boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You would probably be better to use a host like Pix.ie or Flickr for that. You can upload your full size version, and then just select a smaller size (no longer than 800px on the longest side ;)) to post to Boards.

Pix.ie give you a code that you can copy and paste straight to Boards. The code lets the viewer click the image on Boards and then go to your Pix account so they can view the full size image if they want.

Otherwise you can use something simple like Irfan View or GIMP to resize the image first, and then upload that to Boards.
    That's great, thanks. I used to use Pix.ie until I read your post.

Ah yeah stay with Pix so, much handier than using attachments. You can share them on Pix itself or any other forum as well and not have to upload them each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Slightly off topic, but I saw four separate Kestrels in the space of I'd say less than 20 minutes while driving on the motorway between Borris in Ossory and Nenagh on Saturday. I've seen two kestrels hunting side by side somewhere around that part of the M7 earlier in the year too.

Oddly, I see them more of them on the newer M6 between Athlone and Galway, than between Athlone and Dublin.

Oddly, I see them more of them on the newer M6 between Athlone and Galway, than between Athlone and Dublin.
    Could that be because there is a greater likelihood of their prey being exposed, due to disturbed habitat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

cfitz wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I saw four separate Kestrels in the space of I'd say less than 20 minutes while driving on the motorway between Borris in Ossory and Nenagh on Saturday. I've seen two kestrels hunting side by side somewhere around that part of the M7 earlier in the year too.

i am on the road between Nenagh and Roscrea a few times a week.

my record for one direction is 5!

dont think a journey has gone by without seeing at least one.

fairly confident of seeing them mating in one incidence, was lucky i didnt crash trying to get a better view!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

trebor28 wrote: »
    i am on the road between Nenagh and Roscrea a few times a week.

my record for one direction is 5!

dont think a journey has gone by without seeing at least one.

fairly confident of seeing them mating in one incidence, was lucky i didnt crash trying to get a better view!

Limerick - Nenagh and Nenagh-Roscrea are two great stretches to spot kestrels.

Limerick - Charleville is another Kestrel heavy route along with Newcastle West - Castleisland.

Advertisement