Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Pie Chart Help

Options
  • 25-03-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey People,

I'm a little stuck in the making of a yearly budget sheet.

I have the sheet done with all the formulas done etc..
    I have the pie charts done too, but not exactly how i want it.

So, the question:
    How do i set the percentage of the pie chart as a percentage of say my total income? I have it set at the minute so as it just gives you a chart of all the expenses compare to each other!!! I need a chart that gives it as a percentage of my income

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Mickey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Might be better off asking in the accounting forum, sounds like something they'd be more experienced at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Hi I've never made out a pie chart in excel, but basically a pie chart is all about percentages, it's all fine making out a pie chart based on values, but I'd imagine excel adds these together to make up a total it can use to then, calculate percentages/fractions.

Actually for this to work you need to subtract the costs from your wage and add the remainder to your pie chart! the reason for this is pie charts only work when all the fractions add up to your total, which in this case is your wages.

bit drunk atm, so hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mickey_D

thanks, makes perfect sense alright, but then i've to view all the expenses as percentages rather than costs on the spreadsheet, or is there a way i can set it to view the default as costs and have the percentages underlying the value?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

well as long as you include a remainder amount (which is your total income amount minus all the outgoings) it will add the required slice to the chart, which is what you seem to be missing. (amounts + whats left = a complete pie chart)

So either use this method or use percentages either should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mickey_D

Got it working perfect lads thanks a lot for the help, Much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement