Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dit engineering applicants for 2012

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hey guys im planning on studying engineering in dit this year.just decided to post this and see who's hoping to get into one of the engineering courses and which one.i'll probably go for the Engineering (General Entry) DT097 as it gives you an idea of all the areas of engineering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brennie16

hey steve2012, im gonna do Mechanical Enginerring DT006. Did you go to the open day yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

Ye I was thinking of either doing civil or mechanical but will probably do the general entry to get a better idea of all the courses. Yep I was.Which talk were u at ? I went to the 10:30 one then noticed the information I wanted to find out was at 10 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I started Mechanical Engineering in CIT last September, I love it.

I previously did 2 years of environmenatl & Earth System Sciences in UCc and hated it.

The course has a good mix of theoretical and practical modules.

It's semesterised so whatever you do before Christmas is assessed before Christmas and whatever you do between January and May is assessed in May.

Here's the modules we do in first year:

Semester 1:
    • Introduction to CAD (Autodesk Autocad)
    • Mechanics I (physics + applied maths)
    • Materials & Processes (materials science)
    • Teamwork & Innovation (bull****)
    • Welding technology (practical classes in MMA, TIG, MIG and Gas welding)
    • Mechatronics (pneumatics and circuits)
    Semester 2:
    • Engineering Design (Autodesk Inventor)
    • Technological maths (logs, indices, cubic equations etc)
    • Thermofluids (specific heat capacity, enthalpy etc)
    • Mechanical workshop (lathes, milling machines etc)
    • ICT (IT for engineers, complete bull****, excel, word etc)
    • Introduction to auto engines (elective, fiddling round with engines, fun)
    That's what I've done so far, really enjoying it!

Hope you enjoy mech eng if you do it.

steve2012 wrote: »
    Ye I was thinking of either doing civil or mechanical but will probably do the general entry to get a better idea of all the courses. Yep I was.Which talk were u at ? I went to the 10:30 one then noticed the information I wanted to find out was at 10 :/

I didnt go to any talk. one of the teachers pretty much came over to me and ended up showing me around the whole college which was sound enough.

If you do general entry and would like to do mechanical, is there a chance that you wont be able to pick it because of places?

Hi Dermighty,

Ya, I've got my heart set on mechanical engineering, so will definately pick it. Can't wait for it.
    DIT seems like a cool enough college aswell. I hear ITs are more practical than the universities

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Ye I got a look around too. Ye they allow you to pick the course of ur choice after the first year of general entry. Are you traveling up and down every day or renting ?

Ye I got a look around too. Ye they allow you to pick the course of ur choice after the first year of general entry. Are you traveling up and down every day or renting ?

I'm from Galway, so i'll be renting

Oh that's far , I'm in Meath but I'll probs rent since its less hastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bounce1993

I'm in DIT at the moment, and have heard a few lecturers talking about that course. A potential problem with it is that its so broad in the first year, you then have to choose a course and go straight into second year, meaning you will be at a disadvantage to the people that were in that course from the fist year and may struggle to keep up.

Ye I see what you mean, you might not have all the information that the students in the course would have studied in their first year of the course so your basically playing catch up, thats the downside I found with the course which would make me unsure about it but I'm just not 100% sure which engineering disaplin I'm interested in the most and am hoping the year gives me abetter idea of each of them. But that's if I even get in The course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I finished Mechanical Engineering DT022 in DIT last year so if people have questions about the course fire ahead. Hours are long and workload tough in final year but an excellent course. A good few people complete the ordinary degree first then move into the third year of the higher degree. Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Control Engineering, FLuid Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials and Mechanics of Machines are probably the main modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 owenduffy18

Anyone doing the common engineering course in DIT, DT025? Does anyone know where the DIT engineering building is located in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bounce1993

Kevin Street, just off St. Stephens Green.

Bounce1993 wrote: »
    Kevin Street, just off St. Stephens Green.
    Don't you mean Bolton street

Where would a good place be to live round there.(for the craic and all).. And ones there already. what are ya's opinion on the area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 1630

Where would a good place be to live round there.(for the craic and all).. And ones there already. what are ya's opinion on the area?

The area around kevin street would be perfect as there is great nightlife on wexford street and harcourt st right around the corner from the college,id imagine renting there would be pricey. The college itself is five ten minute walk from the luas so if you were living on the green luas line it would be grand the rent on a place out near sandyford etc would be cheaper and the area would be quiet

Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

some of the engineering courses are split between kevin street and bolton street, mostly bolton though!

Which engineering courses are based in Kevin street do you know ?

Which engineering courses are based in Kevin street do you know ?

Kevin Street is Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
    Bolton Street is Civil,Structural, Mechanical, Manufacturing and Design,and Building Services Engineering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I think some of the mechanical or other engineering courses have a single module over in kevin street though...I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, cant rmeember for sure, but there is one lab every few weeks down in Kevin St. for the DT006 course.

I finished Mechanical Engineering DT022 in DIT last year so if people have questions about the course fire ahead. Hours are long and workload tough in final year but an excellent course. A good few people complete the ordinary degree first then move into the third year of the higher degree. Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Control Engineering, FLuid Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials and Mechanics of Machines are probably the main modules.

did you do the ordinary degree first ? in the third year is there much difference between studying Process Plant Technology or Manufacturing Technology

did you do the ordinary degree first ? in the third year is there much difference between studying Process Plant Technology or Manufacturing Technology

I did not study the Ordinary degree I just did the four years honours degree. If I was starting again I would do the ordinary degree first.I was not sure in first year which branch of engineering I wanted to study.
    I did a few manufacturing modules in second year. I did not like the manufacturing automation at all. I studied a lot of process control. I much preferred this. If you want to do Mechanical I would advise studying the process control stuff.

i know if you study level 7 civil engineering and want to go on to study level 8 its another two years added on which adds up to five years. is this the same for mechanical engineering or is it only a one year add on ? thanks

i know if you study level 7 civil engineering and want to go on to study level 8 its another two years added on which adds up to five years. is this the same for mechanical engineering or is it only a one year add on ? thanks

Yes that is correct. It is the same for Mechanical Engineering in Bolton Street.
    Some people do the 3 year Ordinary degree and complete the 1 year add on in another third level institution. I would recommend doing the 5 years.

Advertisement