Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Modules

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:28pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm currently considering repeating modules and was just wondering a few things.

First off, can you repeat modules you've passed already? (I got a C3 in a module last semester and I really think I can do better than that)

Secondly, what sort of fees would I be looking at per module? (Would be looking to repeat two in Semester 1 and probably one from Semester 2).

And finally, can you defer the grant for a year? I'd prefer to pay for the repeat year from my own pocket (given that it's my own fault)?

And if you get a better grade, is it slotted in where it would have gone if you got it the first time and you just carry on to the next year as if you hadn't repeated?

I know these are probably obvious answers but I'm just looking for clarification...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Repeats (when repeating a failed module) are capped at a C3.

I've never heard of anyone trying to repeat a module they passed.
    There are a lot of implications (if you're allowed to do it). Time, knock on effect (work load wise, i.e. impacting other modules), cost, potential query from future employer (why did it take you longer to graduate? What extra skills did you learn since it took you longer)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Repeats (when repeating a failed module) are capped at a C3.

I was under the impression that just the repeat exam was capped? If you actually do the entire module again is it capped as well? :eek::eek:
    I've never heard of anyone trying to repeat a module they passed.
    There are a lot of implications (if you're allowed to do it). Time, knock on effect (work load wise, i.e. impacting other modules),

Right, I'm confused now. I thought when you repeated a module you just did the modules you're repeating (as in you'd only have one or two modules in a semester) so there wouldn't be any impact on other modules...

Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of this whole process :o
    potential query from future employer (why did it take you longer to graduate? What extra skills did you learn since it took you longer)

I've thought of this, and ideally I would use free time (would only have about 10 contact hours a week, plus I would probably be putting in about 20 non-contact) to gain work experience and build a port-folio(for lack of a better word), as well as participate more in extra-curricular stuff like An Focal and ULFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Right, I'm confused now. I thought when you repeated a module you just did the modules you're repeating (as in you'd only have one or two modules in a semester) so there wouldn't be any impact on other modules...

I was listing all the potential issues. I wasn't sure if you wanted to do it link-in, or not. Cost and time are what impact then. (why did it take you longer to graduate? What extra skills did you learn since it took you longer)

What year are you in anyway? 2nd, right?
    Why would you want to repeat 2nd year modules you passed? You know the weighting applied to 2nd year modules is low relative to 3rd and 4th year.

I'm still not even sure you can repeat modules you've passed on a non capped basis. From a financial point of view, the University would have nothing against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

So I'm currently considering repeating modules and was just wondering a few things.

First off, can you repeat modules you've passed already? (I got a C3 in a module last semester and I really think I can do better than that) Only if you Failed the year as part of a link in (if your repeating the year)

Secondly, what sort of fees would I be looking at per module? (Would be looking to repeat two in Semester 1 and probably one from Semester 2).you'ed have to check this with the fees office

And finally, can you defer the grant for a year? I'd prefer to pay for the repeat year from my own pocket (given that it's my own fault)?you won't get the grant if your doing a link in module

And if you get a better grade, is it slotted in where it would have gone if you got it the first time and you just carry on to the next year as if you hadn't repeated? no it is put in a difernet part of your transcript.

I know these are probably obvious answers but I'm just looking for clarification...

why are you looking to do this if you are in first year your qca is wiped any way so there's no point doing it.

relesisticaly if you hav'nt failed any modules there is no point repeating the year it is far better to just move on and try to get a better result next year

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I was listing all the potential issues. I wasn't sure if you wanted to do it link-in, or not. Cost and time are what impact then. (why did it take you longer to graduate? What extra skills did you learn since it took you longer)

What year are you in anyway? 2nd, right?
    Why would you want to repeat 2nd year modules you passed? You know the weighting applied to 2nd year modules is low relative to 3rd and 4th year.

I'm still not even sure you can repeat modules you've passed on a non capped basis. From a financial point of view, the University would have nothing against it.
    mayo_lad wrote: »
    why are you looking to do this if you are in first year your qca is wiped any way so there's no point doing it.

relesisticaly if you hav'nt failed any modules there is no point repeating the year it is far better to just move on and try to get a better result next year

In 2nd year. And the reason I'm contemplating repeating a module I already passed, is because I'm more than likely going to have to repeat at least one module that I failed at Christmas, and probably another one from this semester (don't think I'll pass the repeat exams), and know I could do much better in the one I got a C3 in, so was just thinking that while I was repeating I could do that one as well.

Appreciate the responses lads. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

In 2nd year. And the reason I'm contemplating repeating a module I already passed, is because I'm more than likely going to have to repeat at least one module that I failed at Christmas, and probably another one from this semester (don't think I'll pass the repeat exams), and know I could do much better in the one I got a C3 in, so was just thinking that while I was repeating I could do that one as well.

Appreciate the responses lads. :)

right your options are;

1, repeat both modules in august ,pass them and continue in to 3 rd year,

2, fail a module after you repeat it in august and have to do link in modules which are not capped at a C3 , in which case you can repeat multable modules at a fixed cost per module

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Talk to the education officer, I repeated an exam I passed because I thought I could do better! You will need a retrospective I-grade, which is un capped.

No idea why you are saying you will fail a repeat at this stage, go to the lecturer and get help with that module.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Or perhaps just take this as your lesson and work harder in future? Sure I'm disappointed with a few of my modules but I wouldn't go back and repeat them.

Advertisement