Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research

Options
  • 24-03-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if any of you have some advice about researching distant places. Part of my story is set in Tokyo. I'd love to research contemporary and youth culture over there. What would be the best way to do this? Where to start? Research has always been a weakness of mine. Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Memnoch wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if any of you have some advice about researching distant places. Part of my story is set in Tokyo. I'd love to research contemporary and youth culture over there. What would be the best way to do this? Where to start? Research has always been a weakness of mine. Appreciate any advice.
    Online forums, Google Earth, television streams, YouTube... It's easy enough fake it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Online forums, Google Earth, television streams, YouTube... It's easy enough fake it these days.

Right. It just seems like there is a LOT of it out there. Not sure where to begin or how to sift through/contextualise it. I suppose once I make a start, it will hopefully come together. Seems very daunting. Any suggestions on forums that would be a good place to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

You could try the JET forums and Gaijinpot.com. A lot of young Irish people participate in JET, so you might be able to grab interviews with some. Of course, all that stuff will give you is the perspectives of foreigners living there.

Check out online newspapers and other media too (e.g. Japan Times.) If you have access to a college library then look for books on contemporary Japan (areas like anthropology, sociology, and cultural studies would contain useful stuff), and browse articles in scholarly databases.

Watch lots of Japanese movies and read Japanese novels.

Failing all that, go to Tokyo!

Advertisement