Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent aloowance insights please.

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys

I am a 22 year old recent graduate who is seeking rented accomodation. I qualify for rent allowance.

Many of the properties that I would be interested in and that are within my price range state that they do not acept rent allowance. I completley understand all of the reasons why a landlord does not want a tenant on rent allowance.

However, I have a part time job contracted to do 22.5 hrs and have the deposit and first months rent already available.

What I want to ask is if anybody thinks it is worth my while to go view a house that says no R.A and explain my situation to the landlord?

Is there an option to pay the RA directly to the landlord?

I really am a quiet girl and would be very respectful of my accomodation. Also, I could get really excllent references.

I am really struggling to find somewhere nice and where I feel safe but such places do not accept RA

Has anybody experienced this situation before and does any one know of any landlords who have changed thier policies upon meeting the person and being assured they wouldnt be messed around?

anybodys advice or insight would be very much welcome. I am very fustrated.

kind regards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Are you sure that you qualify for rent supplement? Have you been assessed by your local authority as in need of housing? Or are you exempt from this requirement?

In some circumstances rent supplement is paid to landlords directly, although its not the norm. You should note that not all the rent is covered by rent supplement in any event, so even if they agreed to pay it directly to the landlord, you must pay a minimum of 30 Euro a week yourself, and you will also have to pay an additional amount based on your wages.

Landlords are open to negotiation. If you can make a case to them, especially with references, then you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Are you sure that you qualify for rent supplement? Have you been assessed by your local authority as in need of housing? Or are you exempt from this requirement?

In some circumstances rent supplement is paid to landlords directly, although its not the norm. You should note that not all the rent is covered by rent supplement in any event, so even if they agreed to pay it directly to the landlord, you must pay a minimum of 30 Euro a week yourself, and you will also have to pay an additional amount based on your wages.

Landlords are open to negotiation. If you can make a case to them, especially with references, then you never know!

+1
    Are you sure you qualify? You don't say what benefit you are claiming, if any, just that you work part time.

The CWO usually decides how the money will be paid. Some are more leniant than others, but they call the last word on the subject.

Lastly, best bet is to show up dressed well, with printed references, ask plenty of questions, put forward an excellent case for yourself, THEN mention Rent Allowance. If they still refuse you after that, (IMHO) they are not the kind of landlord you would want to have.

Advertisement