Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS and losing medical card

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Was diagnosed with primary progressive ms in 2009 got a medical card in 2010. I was still on full pay then and got it due to the circumstanceseven though my earnings were way above the limit.
    Now after not being working for 15 months my basic pay is €298 and my net pay is €250 and the HSE have decided I'm a "small" bit over the limit so they are taking the medical card away and just giving me a GP visit card instead.
    I'm married and my wife gets Carers and we have no dependents.
    I'm appealing the decision but would just like to hear any advice or comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ring the MS society, they should be able to advise you.I don't have a medical card, I get my drugs etc on my LTI book.I think all long term illness people are to get a gp visit only card?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

The MS society just told me to appeal it. Where do you get a LTI BOOK ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My neuro has helped me before in dealing with the HSE, would there by any point in contacting yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I don't think so but I'll appeal anyway and send them a Medical evidence form and see what happens.

A good strong letter from the neuro might help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Hi pbarr. I got my full medical card after sending in a letter explaining the dire financial pressures I was under due to my illness. I listed everything, car insurance, credit card debt, rent, esb, travel to and from work etc. I was €150 over the threshold. I got the card last year, for 3 years. If you have a full medical card you dont get a long term illness book. But if you no longer have the MC your MS meds,if any, will be covered on the LTI book. The govt announced in the last budget all those with Long Term Illness book will be entitled to free GP visits. This has not happend yet.
    Best of luck with it.

Advertisement